How far gone is too far gone? (Yo content).

I'd be very surprised if it's not the original factory finish.
Ahh ok. I’ve never seen worming as extensive as that before. I thought maybe it’d been repainted and not decontaminated or sealed properly before paint. I see new stuff at work brought in from China that is already rusting underneath the paint because it’s been stored or painted in a humid atmosphere.

Last edited:
Do you know a plumber or an electrician with an endoscope?

Ive borrowed one in the past to see into an old " oil in frame" british bike to see how far things had gone.

If the insides solid, then maybe its worth carrying on with the frame refurb and spending some dollar on it.

You’ve committed to it now. The frame is either salvageable or it’s not - and none of us here can really make that call online. If you want to ride it it will need to go to a framebuilder regardless, for the seat tube. I would stop the internal debate, identify a good builder, box it and post it. They’ll be able to assess whether it is worth doing any work on it or if it’s scrap, probably at a glance.

At the worst you’ve spent £250 plus postage to learn an important lesson about impulse purchases! At the best, you’ve got a rideable, iconic frame, painted to your tastes. But you should let an expert builder assess it ASAP.

A complete build with every part cracked/damaged :cool:
Yep, this idea is building steam!

Thanks all. I'll get it to a frame builder at some point but for now I want to keep the original paint so plan to paint strip some sections on the drive side to assess the condition while keeping the non-drive side looking pretty for looking at.

Edvard, after a deep think. I'm now believing the best option is hiding in plain sight.
IF,.....that's original paint decals etc and, never (despite intentional rework) gonna be slung down the gravelly lanes...
I'd just leave as it is, wall art right there.

Back