How far gone is too far gone? (Yo content).

If the lower seat tube is buggered then, you've nowt to lose now. A blast/dip will reveal the damage extent.
Keep going with whatever needs doing.
Re- do the aqua fade?
Another custom repaint?
Some other artistic thing?

Itll all add up to a bike of the month contender.

If the lower seat tube is buggered then, you've nowt to lose now. A blast/dip will reveal the damage extent.
Keep going with whatever needs doing.
Re- do the aqua fade?
Another custom repaint?
Some other artistic thing?

Itll all add up to a bike of the month contender.
Not if you blast it, and end up with a pair of dropouts and a bottom bracket shell.....

Well, it is usable, right up until the point it isn't. If the bottom of the seat tube has started to go (that's not an uncommon area for these frames?) then you may find the chainstays are not far behind.
If it was my frame I'd be stripping the paint and getting it checked over.

Strip it!

Live by the sword (eBaying while drunk), die by the sword!

I have this motto I live by: I've already spent the money.

I.E. It's gone. Done. I've made the commitment, I'm not getting it back. Whether it was there before, or I might need it again is irrelevant. It's spent.

So...

Spend more!

Make a beautiful bike.

We'll all be cheering you on from the sidelines and voting accordingly in the BOTM when the time comes anyway!

Plus, I reckon a few on here admire a challenge and those that undertake them, so you'll have all the help and support you'll need with this.

Considering the action the thread about it's original sale got, and that you've ended up with it, it almost feels like it's a community Yo anyway!

I scratched the yo itch in so far as I owned one and it was lovely. It had suffered the same issue as yours (seat tube) but the rest was sound. Previous owner had a repair done, replaced the full seat tube. However this is where I kind of fell out with it as there were a couple of issues with the repair I didn't like.

1. Seat tube was no longer the proper yo size, 27.2 not 29.4.

2. It was fillet brazed not tig welded.

I could live with 1, it opened up seat tube options, bit 2 annoyed me aesthetically.

I may have kept it but it turned out too small.

I guess I'm saying that you may find that it is only the usual BB area issue caused by no drain holes and water pooling as a result. If you plan to restore it and repair anyway, dig further economically before you put any significant time or money into it

Aside from perhaps cost saving, I've never understood why the most common fix is a sleeved repair when you could replace the whole tube. I've watched a few repair videos and the level of effort to do it can't be too far off a full tube replacement

I'd still like another one day, one I can ride. Good luck with yours, I hope it is sound everywhere else.

Trust your instincts and get it repaired, that ‘telepathic’ ride is definitely worth it. Lee Cooper knows all about these after doing the same repair on mine. I also know he has a spare set of BOI forks hanging around that he made at the same time as mine. For this reason, only the trail awaits… PM for pics of mine if you like? Peace and love, H.

Thanks all for your input, it's a keeper!

Plans for it? Not much for now, just going to look at it and maybe nibble a little at the rough patches when I dare. I have half an idea to build it with broken parts that look okay and make it proper wall art! I still have the old Syncros post I broke on a retro ride years ago so that could be a starting point.......

After that, who knows. It's too small for me but could fit other family members. Restoration wise I've been put in contact with a bloke in Brighton that did a superb job on the lower section of a 10th Anniversary Fat so would look to send it there. Paint wise I wouldn't aqua fade it as I now want one in my size in a/f and reckon it would cost a huge amount to recreate the finish to a suitable standard as the fade is so subtle. Makes my orange/white fade Clockwork look like a Friday afternoon job! Grello or Team Violet would be the sensible choice as if I restore it the bike will be passed on to my wife/kids or sold on. I expect, in the end I'll keep it until I find another in my size then sell it on to raise funds. I'll make sure I record the journey. :LOL:

Back