How do Proflex full suspension bikes ride

averagebiker

Retro Guru
I have a full sus retro ride scratch i would like to itch. I have always hankered after a proflex so thought I would start my search there.

But what are they like to ride? My thing is cross country exploring rather than anything gnarly. Would a proflex suit me? Anything else I should be considering? But I i do find those girvin forks intriguing 😁

Had an 856. Very capable xc bike, even used mine for dh bitd with now problems. The forks work fine too, the changeable travel path is a great feature and makes more sense to me than straight up and down like most forks.

The girvin forks are indeed intriguing; I would love to hear from someone who has experience, especially if they could compare from experience, how they are versus an Amp. I like the "dead ends" of mountain bike development, and when it came to suspension, there were definitely some cool ideas tried.

The girvin forks are indeed intriguing; I would love to hear from someone who has experience, especially if they could compare from experience, how they are versus an Amp. I like the "dead ends" of mountain bike development, and when it came to suspension, there were definitely some cool ideas tried.

From memory the amp fork linkage just collapses, meaning the fork legs go up and down like other forks. The Girvin lets you change the axle path so it goes in a J motion, backwards then upwards, instead of straight up, which was great for square edge hits like roots and kerbs and gave the fork time to work.

If you want a vintage FS that actually works somewhat, I would stay away from Pro-Flex. A good first-gen FSR would be my recommendation.

I havn't owned or rode a early 90's one (off road). But the mid- late 90's yes.
The mids, 756, 955 i found to be racey in geometry and uncomfortable for longer rides. They look rather cool but hard to get right, i thought.
Later on, with a 757....what a different ride all together! Good springs both rear and front, especially the girvin 'expert series' with predictable modulation.
The whole bike soaked up terrain nasties and didnt drain me either. Just felt like a very comfy rigid bike.
The girvin vector 2 look awesome but second fiddle to the former. Although, they dont tolerate being fettled. The wrong bolt, bush or spacer just results in a rattle/adverse motion. That's me anyway.
My recommendation.....

20211228_113652.jpg 20211228_113745.jpg 20211228_113713.jpg

Back in Time Mountain Biking was mentioning "a clean, crips and lively ride"
Proflex 853 MBUK 1993 pic.jpg
Not sure what they have meant with "lively ride"?

To me even what's said in the brochure was suprisingly realistic
"it reduces overall bump forces" "without sacrificing bike handling or feel for the trail"
Proflex 1991 Page 0 b Inside Front Cover.jpg

With that I do fully agree to
Just felt like a very comfy rigid bike.

So better not expect a lot of travel and very lively suspension, but the big strength is a simple and easy to maintain technology which provides a bit of more comfort.

However this is just my personal impression, but I anyhow don't understand the reason for this question, the formula to calculate the exact impact on speed is anyhow public and printed on the chainstays :p
Proflex 1991 formula.jpg
20211115_154740.jpg

The early Offroad/Proflex are the only ones I think of when Pro-flex is mentioned. Rear sus frames with your own front sus (girvin if you want, but them modern linkage Girvin are too fancy) or flexstem (or both), making a full sus bike.

But your thought process is all wrong, no matter if you go for the modern Proflex or the proper Proflex
This is retro, so buy stuff, make bike, ride it. Enjoy (or not).

They're all great for XC riding as it was (road, bridleway/footpath, fireroads, dirt tracks, moors, mountains).

I spent a lot of time with guys on 856's and 857's with Girvin forks when they first came out. They went over the bars constantly - I don't recall a single ride where one of then didn't have to bail over the front. This was just on challenging woods trails, not FR of DH stuff. I rode them and it always felt like the front wheel was tucking under the bars and actively trying to send me - it did not inspire confidence. They're cool looking forks, but I have no desire to ride one again.

Back