Recommend a suspension fork for 1999 Kona Explosif.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Following on from my earlier post in a way. Please suggest a fork with V-Brake fittings to suit my 1999 Kona Explosif. I'm wanting something modern with a budget of £300. My plan is to build a low cost XC bike based on the 1999 Explosif for me to get back into my cycling. The fork can be brand new or at least more recent. I'm not wanting to buy anything old which will need too much work. Lock out would be nice but not essential. Basically what's the best XC fork I can get for £300 or less that will suit the 1999 Explosif. I have always used TB P2's but as I'm a little older now I'd like something to help with comfort on the trail. I'm not going to be riding extreme downhill, just XC / gravel / single track.

Update: I'm wanting a fork which is V-Brake compatible, NOT disk brake :)

Thanks

Trebz

Last edited:
Inch and an eighth steerer is hard to find above cheap stuff nowdays.
26" wheel canti bosses,
Short enough axle to crown,
Even a dropout to take a 9mm qr axle.
You might be obliged to look for nice used ones, a tricky business.

I didn't think these were still available - although as we buy trade, that doesn't mean there aren't any left out there in retail world.
If you can buy some i can't think you'd do much better at the price.

I'm not looking for brand new ones specifically. I'm more than happy to buy some older 2nd hand ones, I just don't know where to start as I have zero expreience with suspension of any kind really. Save for old Rock Shox. Which i'd rather not buy for the obvious reasons hehe

I'd be tempted to look out for a Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb. It's what the bike was originally specced with so won't mess with the geometry. Seals are available, any old 7.5wt shock oil will do and an oil/seal change, while it might seem daunting at first, is an easy job requiring basic tools that doesn't take long and probably won't need doing again for a long time.
They are great for comfort, still one of the plushest forks out there over the little stuff.

Anything period from Marzocchi would tick your boxes perfectly; if you want a little more travel then the Z1 would work fine, it's only 20mm extra travel so won't mess with the angles too much. You can get new seals for them from Dr. Zocchi and with a fresh set in there they'll be as reliable as they were when new. As @benjabbi said though, Z2 Atom Bomb's or even straight up Z2's would also be perfect, they're all built on the same premise. New forks will be poorer quality because so little is made to suit straight 1 1/8" steerers these days, and although you can get reducers and a straight steerer pressed in you won't be seeing much change from £150 for doing so.

Back