Holdsworth Frame Numbering

Re:

Yeah by that table your frame would come under 1975, but until there are more 'confirmed sightings' of frames/numbers, I think the closest one can say is '1975 give or take a few years', unless your frame has features which make it possible to narrow it down..

If you can post pics, it might be possible to identify the model, and guess the year, of your frame. Close-ups of the lugs, BB shell, seat cluster, fork crown, dropouts, decals, etc., are always welcome..

Took me a while to get to this, the 5D number on forks looks genuine and suggest around 1973. Is the number on the frame actually two 2D numbers? if so I doubt this is the frame number as sometimes there are other odd numbers on the BB. I would expect the frame number to be under the BB either across it or around the edge. Might be worth having a look as I have not seen a gap int he frame number as described above and this would be too high for a 4D number anyway.

Some pictures would be good to see of both the frame and the numbering. Also you could look at the Holdsworth history http://www.nkilgariff.com/

I suppose IF 5263 on BB is indeed one group of digits it could be a first half of 70's 4d number - just the highest we have seen. Present highest 4D number listed is 4905 (a DBS). 5263 is not that much further along. Thus could be one of last frames numbered in this system - possibly not long before 1975 move to new factory at which time all subsequent specials and frames built for branding (as with frames in this 4D system) were lumped into the new 6D system. The frame's fork with an apparently different 1973 5D number would not be original to the frame.

At this point, without proper clarification /pic of frame number on BB or elsewhere and without pics of frame details to support a Holdsworthy model and date, we are left with speculation.

Re: Holdsworth numbering

I have my Father’s pre-war Holdsworth. It was a birthday present on his 11/12th birthday, in around 1941/2, second hand. It is believed to have been part of an export order which was never sent, just pre-war, and the lamp bracket on the left fork blade seems to confirm this. Originally had 65/72 double fixed, but the front brake is a later 50s GB Coureur alloy one. Apart from that, and the tyres, the bike is still pretty-much original. Believed to be Accles and Pollock tubing, not Reynolds. Frame number (on both seat lug and steerer) is 4913. Can anyone shed any more light on its history or original model?

Re: Holdsworth numbering

chrisbeeching":k9sp9xgj said:
I have my Father’s pre-war Holdsworth. It was a birthday present on his 11/12th birthday, in around 1941/2, second hand. It is believed to have been part of an export order which was never sent, just pre-war, and the lamp bracket on the left fork blade seems to confirm this. Originally had 65/72 double fixed, but the front brake is a later 50s GB Coureur alloy one. Apart from that, and the tyres, the bike is still pretty-much original. Believed to be Accles and Pollock tubing, not Reynolds. Frame number (on both seat lug and steerer) is 4913. Can anyone shed any more light on its history or original model?

I’m sure someone will be able to shed some light, but first we’re going to need pictures and lots of them....

Re:

The lamp bracket was quite usual in UK, Raleigh did some. More use than on the right, where you always got the shadow of the front wheel where you needed to see.

If that front rim is a Dunlop alloy, then it is only the second example I have ever seen. I had a pair in 1948 original equipment on my BSA gold column.

Keith

Back