Holdsworth Frame Numbering

dwscrimshaw

Retro Guru
Having posted on this forum before to confirm the date of my Holdsworth frame I followed the advise and look for similar frame number on the web etc. In the end I found 57 frames from this forum, Classic Lightweights, Google and E-bay ads. I thought I would tabulate them for other to view, hope this is helpful.

Below is a graph of the numbers found from 1947-1974, I made some minor modifications to numbers that look clearly out of place assuming the number progression should be constant across the years with no over lapping. I have also attached a list of frames found and the stated dates with some further modifications to the numbers to try and define the number ranges for each year.

Interestingly no numbers found so far for early 60's? any suggestion on where I might find further sources of numbers, more numbers would increase accuracy.

Yes, was having difficulty up loading files due to size and type. I can e-mail the excel file to you if you like

Re:

I may not be understanding the table correctly, but if '1970 34264 Special' is an interpretation of information submitted by me on this forum about the bike in my shed right now, then I would just like to say that it is a gross misinterpretation. Afaik the 'Special' model did not exist until the mid '70s. I'm certain that mine is from the mid '80s, and that there is an illegible first digit, likely a '1'. Whether you trust me or not is up to you.

Thanks, Does look like I didn't follow the discussion fully, my apologies. They seem to have reset the numbering at the end of the 70's and added a 0 to the front of the 5 digits. Guess your unreadable digit is a 0 in this case and as you say its a later frame.

I will make the necessary adjustment, thanks for you correction, might well get a few more of these.

Re:

Thanks. No worries.. I've been getting confused myself.. Holdsworth Specials seem to have been popping up out of the woodwork around here.. Two of them with consecutive frame numbers- what are the chances of that?

Yes, bit latter the period I am looking at. I have started using the initial 0 in the number to avid confusion with the two sets of numbers.

Re:

Understood.

I had my forks out just a few weeks back, too, to change headsets, which would have been an opportunity to have a gander at the number on the steerer. A missed opportunity, obviously. I was concentrating on getting (most of) those pesky little balls back in their races without (too much) contamination... :)

Latest posts

Back