Holdsworth Frame Numbering

Pics of Father's bike. Hope they're helpful. Both rims are Dunlop alloy.

Attachments

• Holdsworth 2_Page_5.jpg
    Holdsworth 2_Page_5.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Holdsworth 2_Page_3.jpg
    Holdsworth 2_Page_3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Holdsworth 2_Page_1.jpg
    Holdsworth 2_Page_1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Holdsworth 2_Page_2.jpg
    Holdsworth 2_Page_2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Holdsworth 2_Page_6.jpg
    Holdsworth 2_Page_6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Holdsworth 2_Page_4.jpg
    Holdsworth 2_Page_4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 240
I don’t know much about Holdsworth’s outside of their Claud Butler ‘59-‘85 production, but I do know that’s a cracking piece of Holdsworth history.... more close ups of bottom bracket, headset, lugs and any other details please........

N.B. Please, please don’t be tempted to strip the parts however profitable that might be. unless of course you are in dyer straights or about to become homeless!

Not without offering it up here to someone who can convince you they are a proper collector, it deserves that much.

There's no way this will be 'split'. I need to get the saddle repaired, but other than that I also still have the CL pedals, and the (as far as I can tell from photos of Dad riding it) the original Bluebells mudguards and pump.

I think, at some time waaaaaay back in the past the bottom bracket was reamed out to take the TDC 'get out of jail' steel threadless cartridge type which was effectively 'clamped' through the BB shell using an 'oversize' RH BB cup and LH locking. There are two grease nipples on the BB, and one on the head tube. The rear fork ends have need slightly 'hacked' as I think someone has tried to fit larger wheels (possibly 700c) and 'eased' the ends off the forkends to get enough clearance to squeeze them in. I believe the bars are Lauterwasser - I met him (Jack) in Bradford on Avon years ago - lovely man, very modest about his achievements.

I know the bike wasn't new when Dad first had it, but it's never been resprayed since. No idea of the original colour scheme though (sadly). Not sure whether I should research a set of period transfers for it or not. It's a beautiful ride, and the pencil stays at the rear and round fork blades are comfortably responsive yet still eat up the bumps and the road miles with ease.

I'll take some more pics later.

Great stuff Chris.
Please start a “clean-up/restoration” thread in Readers rides... I’d love to watch your progress

Re:

Chris,
So your Dunlop rims are 26s. I remember having difficulty with tyre fitting on mine, the rim well is very shallow. If you get the tyres off a bit of attention with a file on the spoke heads will help. also the thinnest suitable rim tape.
The alternative wheels would have been for tubulars, we always referred to as 27 inch.
The standard Lauterwasser bars are much shallower and were widely used in the mid thirties during the silly season when club bikes had 67 degree angles and 19 inch frames. So the bars were shaped to give long enough reach. Yours could well resemble the original.

Keith

Original purchaser was apparently a Ted Goodsall from Tunbridge Wells. Bought new in 1934. My father had it in 1945, saved half up for it with pocket money, and the other half with birthday money.

He changed the bars from the original for a slightly deeper drop.

And yes, it appears to be a Typhoon as that’s what Dad recalls.

Back