Herefordshire Road Ride II - Saturday 23rd July 2011

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
It's a year on and due to popular demand (ok, two people but to me that's the height of popularity), the Herefordshire Road Ride returns for 2011. So get your classic steel frames gleaming polished up, shave your legs and don your fluro Bolles for Edition II on Saturday 23rd July 2011.

What does it involve, I hear you cry?
A stunning, scenic and undulating Sportive style 80 km ride on very quiet country roads with the option of a country pub lunch/stop. There's plenty of climbing but nothing super steep so with a compact and a bit of fitness all should be fine. As a flavour, here's last years Aftermath thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=hereford

Where is it happening?
The ride will start and finish in Hampton Bishop, just outside of the cathedral city of Hereford.

Accommodation?
If you want to stay over there’s a very good campsite about a mile and a half from the ride start/finish, plus good B&B option 3 miles away in the next village.

Anything for partners and/or nippers?
Herefordshire is a very pretty county and there's plenty of opportunity for strolls with an ice cream along the river bank, great open parks and pretty, sleepy black and white villages with quaint antique shops.

Do I have to ride an old road bike?
Riding retro is certainly encouraged if at all possible but if you haven't got anything ready then modern is acceptable (although expect some good natured ribbing). There will be a ‘best in show’ rosette for the sweetest old school ride.

Flag up that you're planning to come below and we'll add to the list of attendees
- Ed
- mrkawasaki
- CAS
- Simplex + 1
- daj
- nevadasmith

Details for on the day:

- meet at 10 a.m. for a 10.30 a.m. start

- parking is available at the Village Hall http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/communi ... ehall.aspx so suggest we meet there at 10 a.m.

- bring a few Powerbars or the like as we'll be away from civilisation for most of the time.

- decent climbing gears recommended (as above, a compact is a good idea but not essential) as are decent brakes.

- any tyres will do but best to leave your handmade silk tubs at home.

- a beer in the garden afterwards (or inside if the weather is inclement).

Diary currently clear - so it's a tentative yes at this stage.

If it's polka dot route then I'd have to go DynaTech 600, otherwise we're talking Super Corsa and tweed...

I'm also saying yes for this too .I should of recoverd from the 128mile charity ride two weeks before this event.

You do know that the road community will look down on any (failed or otherwise) monowheeling with disdain, dontcha... ;-)

Are compacts Retro??

Only if they are TA Cyclotouriste ones ;)

As usual I would like to do it - but it's a long way!

Can I count Tiny Ti as Retro?

Hopefully I can come come but may cut back early if I fall too far behind.

mrkawasaki":3rtylfqg said:
You do know that the road community will look down on any (failed or otherwise) monowheeling with disdain, dontcha... ;-)
what about skids on tubs ? im sure once they feast on my belgian stallion all will be forgiven :LOL:

lastpubrunner":34r3vd7p said:
Perhaps you should hold another in June or August ? (hint, hint) :D

If you want to organise another ride that would be great, best to make sure it doesn't clash with the ones already on the 'Rides and Meets' Calandar though.

Back