Help with Marin frame numbers please!

Shot blast, i dont mean the whole frame, just the bb area. Its been altered..? Maybe.
The serial is alien to me in its content and the way its done...the masking runs up the chainstay.

See the difference? Doesn't imply nuttin' maybe some factory way of doing things/variant. 20211126_164610.jpg

Just got myself a Team Marin, same Tange Ultimate Super light tubing as my Orange Prestige so will be good to compare the two.

Anyway, can someone help with this serial number? Is that a sticker over the top of the serial number? Or is that it??

FYI it looks bone stock, I think it's M737 XT, so 1994??
(Forgive the pics, it's a bit erm...... cramped in the shed 😆).

IMG_20211215_174630.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_174702.jpg
    IMG_20211215_174702.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211215_174725.jpg
    IMG_20211215_174725.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Interesting mate..I also chatted to a guy on the Marin Facebook group who had a team Marin with the exact number stamp, he was from Germany but the bike was imported from Spain…not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Interesting mate..I also chatted to a guy on the Marin Facebook group who had a team Marin with the exact number stamp, he was from Germany but the bike was imported from Spain…not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Yeah it’s a weird one.. I guess the Team and Issue frames were prob built elsewhere to the rest of the range, and have a different coding system, but that doesn’t explain the repeated serial numbers. In fact, the plot seems to thicken… I have a 94 Team frame here with what looks like the same number as the 94 pictured earlier..! 🧐🤔

Attachments

• 40CA1A0B-3629-4FAB-B4B3-57B8E8ABEFD7.jpeg
    40CA1A0B-3629-4FAB-B4B3-57B8E8ABEFD7.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 12
  • 0321FAF4-17EE-412C-BEC8-AB0C59DD3A15.jpeg
    0321FAF4-17EE-412C-BEC8-AB0C59DD3A15.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys. Please help me identify the frame of my bike. I bought it without paint or decals. The fork was a Manitou similar to the one we have now, the wheel mounts and saddle clamp were pinkish purple, there was a patch of yellow paint near the rear derailleur. frame number: FG3AA0041 what does the symbol "G" mean?

Attachments

• DSC_6929.JPG
    DSC_6929.JPG
    737.1 KB · Views: 13
Being aluminium, the codes held within this thread may not hold any relevance.

Do you have any more pictures? Some close ups to the rear mech hanger and sestpost size?
Eventually we may put some sense to the alu models of marin but for now, and sadly, once you loose original decals and provenance of a bike, the way these bikes are made is somewhat 'generic' usually by A-pro taiwan and simply bulk-purchased by whoever wanted them. Marin, claud butler, etc...were quick to buy them.

For now, someone else may come along with something to compare to.
Hold on!

A possibility that not's been discussed on here anyway is that perhaps the serial numbers relate to the BB shell and not the frame. The shells could have even be bought in before being fitted to the other tubes. It would go some way to explain why Marins serial numbers are all over the place.

On the other hand, yesterday I rode my springy Tange Prestige Team Marin for a couple of hours, the sun shone, dust was coming up from under my tyres and I never gave a thought to serial numbers or what year it was made. Thanks for a great frame Marin.

Last edited:
Back