Help - suspension noob question

Re:

Its a grease with anti-seize properties. I use it on all bolts I might want to remove again in the future, plus other parts like seat posts and other threaded bits. People also use it on the back of disc brake pads (cars as well as bikes) to prevent something other than sticking but I forget what (squeal??).

Maybe there's another name for it in the states?
I bought a tub of it years ago, will probably last a lifetime and maintenance is so much easier. I think it should be illegal not to use it or equivalent ;)

Re:

Thanks to all for replies:

I’ve managed to get it all apart but stuck now as to what to replace it with

Do the bushings in the eBay link replace the ‘top hats’ And what do I do about the round metal bit (14.2mm diameter)

Have ordered the replacement bolt/nuts

Any help gratefully received - thanks

Attachments

• 7913D83C-A54A-4686-8DC6-4163A45177BA.jpeg
    7913D83C-A54A-4686-8DC6-4163A45177BA.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 566
  • EFC0593A-5CA7-4846-8E29-6920A6591A7A.jpeg
    EFC0593A-5CA7-4846-8E29-6920A6591A7A.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 566
  • EB3084EC-CB3B-4B15-9942-DC8ADD519FD4.jpeg
    EB3084EC-CB3B-4B15-9942-DC8ADD519FD4.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 566
  • 3E9D2282-4D17-4EA1-B923-7EEB81502714.jpeg
    3E9D2282-4D17-4EA1-B923-7EEB81502714.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 542
Re:

Copper grease is copper paste in the states. - readily available.
That metal piece - is it possible to determine id and the od and source metal tubing locall/amazon, and cut to length?

Re:

Hi - I’ve added another pic which shows the insert. OD is 14.3 but too small for me to measure the ID.

Any further advice would be much appreciated

Re:

If I'm understanding things correctly, my thoughts are:

Top hats are really spacers that slot into the shock bushing. Measure up and reorder the same.

Metal insert looks like the bushing, did it come from inside the shock eye? If so, order another in the same size.

Bolts as someone suggested, now"s the time to replace with nicer, more corrosion resistant ones. You can get ti but worth it? Maybe, but stainless would be cheaper and easier to get.

Metal shaft I think you are wedded to so I'd clean, polish and grease up before refitting

Re:

The link in my post sends you to an ebay shop that supplies replacement shock bushings... in their drop down box you order the size you need ie how wide the bush is either side of your shock, then measure the diameter of the bolt hole, in your case 8mmx 35mm and then place order. The replacement is stainless steel and comes with a preferred nylon shock eyelet bush so once fitted, no more wear. But I would suggest you buy a fitting tool to insert the eyelet poly bush without damage, as you will need to re-insert your new bush in better nick than the mangled one you have smashed out :LOL:

Something like THIS

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thank you - I may be being stupid so will the eBay link replace both the top hats and the small metal bushing?

One thing I cannot find on the eBay page is the outer diameter of the middle bit of the replacement eBay part (i.e. I don’t know whether it will fit in the hole. It’s an 8mm bolt.

Also the width is just the width of the shock arm and not shock arm with top hats on each side?

Re:

You only get ONE poly bush with each kit, but if you buy the removal/fitting tool, you get TWO poly bushings free with it, so you'll have a spare :LOL:

35mm x 8mm will fit your bike, the width is measured by everything that sits across the swingarm ie >tophat-eyelet-tophat<.

bike-measurement.png
[/url]

Re:

Really appreciate your help thanks - we have measured the ID of the eyelet and it’s 12mm And 14mm OD. In their description they say comes with 12.7mm bush so will the supplied bit be too big? I’m so confused by it all. Ps all the bike shops I enquiried with for repair weren’t interested (sign of the times I suppose)

Re:

All the eyelet bush/sleeves are the same on these bikes, just buy what has been suggested and get her fixed. ;)

Regarding the bolt ... just get something generic over your side, but dont get a flanged head bolt as they don't fit down the swingarm tube.
How do I know this? :facepalm:

Back