help me identify my orange!

paulos

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys and girls,

Love bikes, just found your site - all good so far then!

Just helped my brother in law move house, and picked up his old clockwork orange for my efforts! (it was a 16 hour day, but i still feel like i did pretty well!)

I have a roady and a bmx, so now have the trio! The good lady is over the moon with excitement - she now gets to have 2 bikes in the kitchen!

I need to know what it is.

It is pearly white, is made of 7.2 cromoly, frame no is ( and i have no idea if i got this right!) A207039617CX43AW

Frame only - with a bag of bits, mainly some shimano stuff, some dodgy looking servo brake levers spring to mind!, mavic rims - look ok. It has rock shocks - will undoubtedly need a service. Its been in a loft for 3 years!!!!!!!

Any ideas on what it is? Is it any good?

Frame needs painting - see orange charge 150 - that worth it?

Will try and get some photos - lost my camera a few months back.

Cheers for any help.

Paulos

cheers graeme,

i am such a spoon - found that sheet a few hours ago but did not realise the significance

ill level with you - i had a rockhopper as a kid - always knew about oranges from seeing cool people at race meets and from mags etc, but get this - i did not actually realise the clockwork was a model!

so now we know it is either 93/4 or 98/9.

seat tube size - i guess that is from bb to where the seat post enters? and i also guess that is in inches? Looks like 1 trip to the loft and I shall know!

i take it the rock shox were defo an upgrade?

cheers

seatube size is the inside diameter (in mm) of the tube your seat post goes into (best measured with a pair of verniers)

As for a respray, you can get reproduction decals on ebay, or even have them custom made. And you can find resprays alot cheaper than orange charge.

However there might be something nice about having the orange cared for by orange....my current orange however is going to go to a local car body rpair shop to get a cheapo respray.

If you could give a little more info on the bikes componants people here may be able to date it more accurately. Eg what model rockshox, what chainset etc...

thanks jerky

lets just ignore my point regarding the seat tube size!

i do not have any internal verniers - will tape measure differentiate 1mm very well?

I take your point re specs - i will get some more stuff out of the carrier bag and try and sort it out in the morning!

Cheers

P

spec update

not going up to the loft as the lights bust and its dangerous

looked through the bag though

good news & Bad news

Good-

xt front & rear mechs - need a bloody good clean
rear is an 8 speed sis integrated xt - any good?

unidentified shimano low profile calipers by the look of it (and my patchy knowledge)

bad news

no orange seat post or stem
servo snimano brake levers - any good?
crappy purple pedals (ouch)

chainset is on frame - think it was xt - hope so
got it out of the van after 16 hours work - so cant remember.

tired now, so sleep and dreams of bikes.

sad!

more info in the quest to find out if my ride is 93 or 98:

Rock Shox are Judy's
It has a synchros stem

xt mechs
8 speed sis

mavic rims on shimano hubs (only 1 xt, and different colour hubs, so im guessing at least one is not original)

Rubbish seat post, pedals and chainset - obv replacements.

Any ideas guys?

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice lot of parts there.
I'd hazard a guess at '98 rather than '93 'cos I don't remember a pearl white colour being available but my knowledge stops at around 1997... :roll:

Should build in to top notch steed, whatever year it was made.

cheers JS,

correction - its not pearly white - its actually a solid sort of 'creamy magnolia' colour!

mmmmmmm

me thinks black with orange stickers

after scouring the site here and finding some, i think thats the colour scheme to head for

is it a matt black? or a standard black? having it painted next week so need to decide!

Back