Help! Gen 1 Mantis Profloater front derailleur issue

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
One for the Brains-trust:

I've finally gotten around to my Profloater build & was surprised to find that I don't actually have a front derailleur (period-correct or otherwise) to fit it. I have over 100 FD's so this was definitely not expected. The seat tube takes a 34.9 FD & can accommodate either DP or TP versions.

Obviously, i'd really like to fit something period-correct but i've exhausted all of my current options. I.e.:
- Non series-specific band-clamp Shimano DP FD (31.8 but I made a 34.9 clamp for it)
- M900 34.9 DP
- Suntour XC Pro 34.9 DP

I've also tried to fit a range of more modern FDs (designed for 42t big ring, both low champ & high clamp) & none of them fit either!

Does anyone on here have a gen 1 Profloater with full-size rings (46t big ring) & if so, what FD are you running???

TIA for any assistance. :)

Attachments

• Profloater.jpg
    Profloater.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 1,233
  • Profloater FD.jpg
    Profloater FD.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 1,232
Re:

Tricky :?

The only thing that comes to mind are the e-type front mechs that are retained by the bottom bracket. You'd probably still have to adapt one a bit though.

SP

Re:

Thanks @ishaw but my frame is a first gen unit & there's greatly reduced space to fit a derailleur under the swingarm gusset. Most frustrating...

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2dzqzc9f said:
Tricky :?

The only thing that comes to mind are the e-type front mechs that are retained by the bottom bracket. You'd probably still have to adapt one a bit though.

SP

E-bracket FD's came out quite a while after this frame was produced & use both a BB band & a frame boss to mount/locate. My frame has a press-in BB & no boss so an e-bracket isn't an option.

Re:

per this article the 1993 pro floater used an m900 front derailleur http://www.vintagemtbworkshop.com/1993- ... oater.html. There's a very good picture of the fd fitting. Not conversant with these derailleurs so i dont know what flavours of swing they came in. Just realised the picture is the same as previously posted. Accordingly i searched this site and came up with this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/u ... 9.jpg.html - a 1992 pro floater. As they were introduced in 1992 i suggest you contact Mrkawasaki.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=300

Back