Help from Marin gurus

I agree with others. £65 massive bargain. It’s a £250+ bike on any day in current condition.

First of all. Please don’t spray it. You can get replacement decals from DNFIVE or Gil. Give it a good clean and respect it’s age. Patina as long as it’s not rust is character.

1994 was in my opinion the pinnacle of Marin Bikes and this one is second only to the Team Issue in the steel range. The geometry and weight is spot on. It’s painted as opposed to coated.

The bike is light, stiff and leading geometry in the day. It’s designed for the trails.

Needs a bit of freshening up. Stick to the XT. M737. 8 speed. If you’ve got cash to splurge XTR900 as an upgrade.

Suggest some Manitou Answer 3 or 4 forks to give some comfort.

LX cranks are original though

Catalogue is here

Any questions let me know. Plenty of Marin lovers here.

Attachments

• FA91E74F-5AD0-4CBF-A2F9-933E09C34229.jpeg
    FA91E74F-5AD0-4CBF-A2F9-933E09C34229.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4
PS - bit of a shameless plug and I’ve got some top M737 groupset goodies for sale

I agree with others. £65 massive bargain. It’s a £250+ bike on any day in current condition.

First of all. Please don’t spray it. You can get replacement decals from DNFIVE or Gil. Give it a good clean and respect it’s age. Patina as long as it’s not rust is character.

1994 was in my opinion the pinnacle of Marin Bikes and this one is second only to the Team Issue in the steel range. The geometry and weight is spot on. It’s painted as opposed to coated.

The bike is light, stiff and leading geometry in the day. It’s designed for the trails.

Needs a bit of freshening up. Stick to the XT. M737. 8 speed. If you’ve got cash to splurge XTR900 as an upgrade.

Suggest some Manitou Answer 3 or 4 forks to give some comfort.

LX cranks are original though

Catalogue is here

Any questions let me know. Plenty of Marin lovers here.
Thanks for the advice, I will take note. Any idea where I could get some touch up paint?

Thanks for the advice, I will take note. Any idea where I could get some touch up paint?
If its a few little chips Id go to boots with a colour sample on your phone snd see if you can get a nail varnish match. Otherwise get some model humbrol paint and mix it until you get a decent match.

You could try a Warhammer shop, great range of paints in there and the staff in there are nerdy enough to be interested in helping you out with an old bike

Last edited:
Teams are lovely bikes, I picked up my dream ‘91, and a ‘94 myself a few months back and they are as nice a steel frame as you’ll find, nicer than the later ones I’m told. I paint for a living but would never respray a Marin, (unless all the paint was missing..)
There’s something about the original that once it’s gone, is gone. These are old bikes that somebody (who is now 30yrs older too!) paid a small fortune for, as they aged and dated they gradually fell down the pecking order and maybe had a few more owners, getting leant up against the pub fence or had lawnmowers scrape them in the garage. I really don’t mind that at all. They’ve got a story to tell. Get the rust under control, lube it up and enjoy a bit of history. Keeps the cost down too! 85A55958-653D-44DF-B646-6B660A576B16.jpeg

Hi,
I am learning towards this, just trying to find some touch up paint, colour matching is not that easy though.

Honestly I wouldn't mess with the paint on that frame. It's opening a can of worms. Take everything apart and give it a good cleaning. Spray the inside with frame saver to prevent internal rust. Clean off the external rust with some white vinegar. Clean it again and spray with frame builders wax. Every little ding and scratch tells a story. As far as the separate components are concerned you can replace as needed with better condition components. It's a great bike already. It just needs a little work.

Back