Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame

One thing I have noticed about the RL 520s is that the brake cable comes out at a really bad angle, or more accurately, the corner is quite sharp. I had to trim away some of the plastic body with a utility knife in order to avoid the handle's digging into the housing. (It actually cut thru the plastic down to the coiled metal). Once I did, the friction in the system went way way down. It was a little nerve wracking to cut into the handles but in the end well worth it. Just remove the edge made the whole system much smoother, especially the returns.
I haven't noticed that issue, but Gevenalle obviously removed the levers to laser etch them, so I wonder if they sorted it? 🤔

I haven't noticed that issue, but Gevenalle obviously removed the levers to laser etch them, so I wonder if they sorted it? 🤔
"Bad angle" of course depends on where the levers are and where the grove, if any, in the bar is, so it might not actually be an issue for you. I had just noticed lots of friction, esp on the return for the rear brake.

Stumbled across and read all 18 pages of this thread, lots of great stuff to digest. Lurking here for some time but now thinking I should post and see if anyone can help.

Having recently moved to Wessex near the Ridgeway, I've decided neither my 700c CX race bike nor my 650b lockdown special "new" geometry hardtail is doing what I want a bike to do in riding all the gravel tracks and byways and bridlepaths round here. The former doesn't fit wider than 38mm tires, the latter is overkill (heavy and slow). So a lightweight retro 26er conversion or monstercross is what I want -- I think!

But I'd like to keep all options open while I experiment with it, so I'm looking for something fairly verstatile with post mounts AND disc mounts on the frame, sized quite small (13"-14" for my short legs and shortness in general) that will take both 26 and 650b wheels. So far I've found a few ~15 year old Scott Contessas that fit that description but wondering if I should be looking at any other framesets? Women's specific maybe?

When did MTB geometry really start to change to become long in the toptube, is mid 2000s still ok for finding a frameset that isn't too low and long? I haven't ridden my Giant Iguana circa 1993 in about 5 years so can't remember to compare to my latest MTB purchase.

^ Probably by the mid-90s, thanks to Kona for one, the geometry got pretty much set.

If you want disks practically you are in early 2000 territory. I am not aware of any woman specific retro MTBs or ATBs, but for sure some
custom made frames for smaller riders may come up. My advice would be jump in with a 26" full rigid small steel frame and suck it and see; it's something that can be rewarding even though it's not an exact science and requires some trial and error.

I'm looking for something fairly verstatile with post mounts AND disc mounts on the frame, sized quite small (13"-14" for my short legs and shortness in general) that will take both 26 and 650b wheels. .

Perhaps look for an old On-One Inbred frame?
Below was my partners bike, pretty sure we did fit 650b wheels too at some point. It's got flat bars here, but could equally take some drops.

Attachments

• DSC_0665.jpg
    DSC_0665.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Woz
Stumbled across and read all 18 pages of this thread, lots of great stuff to digest. Lurking here for some time but now thinking I should post and see if anyone can help.

Having recently moved to Wessex near the Ridgeway, I've decided neither my 700c CX race bike nor my 650b lockdown special "new" geometry hardtail is doing what I want a bike to do in riding all the gravel tracks and byways and bridlepaths round here. The former doesn't fit wider than 38mm tires, the latter is overkill (heavy and slow). So a lightweight retro 26er conversion or monstercross is what I want -- I think!

But I'd like to keep all options open while I experiment with it, so I'm looking for something fairly verstatile with post mounts AND disc mounts on the frame, sized quite small (13"-14" for my short legs and shortness in general) that will take both 26 and 650b wheels. So far I've found a few ~15 year old Scott Contessas that fit that description but wondering if I should be looking at any other framesets? Women's specific maybe?

When did MTB geometry really start to change to become long in the toptube, is mid 2000s still ok for finding a frameset that isn't too low and long? I haven't ridden my Giant Iguana circa 1993 in about 5 years so can't remember to compare to my latest MTB purchase.
On One made some good disc compatible steel 26'ers in the 2000 era and Surley made the Troll for many years as a 26" full rigid bike packing rig which I think would build up into a good drop bar gravel bike. Soma steel hardtails from the early 00's could also be a good choice if you can get one - I think they are prestige. A Surly disc trucker or disc Straggler will take big fat tires and has better geometry for drop bars so that could be a good option as well if you can get one cheap.

Personally I haven't had any trouble with Canti's or Vbrakes on my vintage drop bar gravel bike / hybrids so if you want to save money don't be afraid of them. Good old hybrids are the Marin Sausalito, Miyata triple cross, Trek multitrack, Specialized crossroad, etc. The latter are 38 mm to 42mm tire bikes, but I'm finding them just fine on local well maintained gravel.

On-Ones tend to run big I think. That Inbred looks massive, according to this blog even in 2003 it had long and low geometry? https://muddymoles.org.uk/bikes/on-one-inbred-2003-geometry The 16" (smallest size?) definitely looks too big. For reference I ride pretty much the smallest road and CX frames I can find, and 650c for my race/TT bikes. I had an On-One Pompetamine for a while in the smallest size and sold it, as it was just too big ultimately.

Good point about the steel frame, maybe something like this old Specialized would be good for a start https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275295360284

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
On-Ones tend to run big I think. That Inbred looks massive, according to this blog even in 2003 it had long and low geometry?

Massive?! Think it was the 14" size! 😅, Mrs jimo is 5ft nothing.
Inbreds did tend to be slightly longer, for the time period, which by today's standards is positively convervative.

That Specialized frame looks ok though, no disc mount though if that bothers you.

I've got a small Specialized Myka frame that was going to be Mrs Jimo's next bike but she got a Kona instead...

Last edited:
Ah good to know about the Inbred! I've just googled and can see there have been 14" framesets for sale from time to time, will keep an eye out. 16" would definitely be too big I think.

Latest posts

Back