Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame

How do you like the shifter? I think they are a cool idea but have this feeling they mount a bit far away. But I guess downtubers are far away too and you get used to them :)
First ride today and they took about 2 minutes to get used to. Actually really easy and intuitive to use. 😊

That looks really nice. I'm toying with the idea using a 26er rock lobster team ti but not sure whether to stick with 26 inch wheels or try and fit 27.5 wheels on it. Thoughts? Not sure what bars to use either. I've seen mentions of reach so would a standard MTB stem of the era work ok with drop bars, or would a longer stem be advisable? Also not sure about the bar style, I see yours are sweeping out, is there a reason for this? Forks are also a conundrum, rigid or short travel sus?

That looks really nice. I'm toying with the idea using a 26er rock lobster team ti but not sure whether to stick with 26 inch wheels or try and fit 27.5 wheels on it. Thoughts? Not sure what bars to use either. I've seen mentions of reach so would a standard MTB stem of the era work ok with drop bars, or would a longer stem be advisable? Also not sure about the bar style, I see yours are sweeping out, is there a reason for this? Forks are also a conundrum, rigid or short travel sus?
I think gravel bars flare because it's more comfortable and gives better control. Mine are Redshift sports "kitchen sink". They're really comfy!
I stuck with 26" wheels, but only because I'm on v brakes, and so couldn't use 700c disc wheels, but if the frame was disc compatible, I'd probably have gone bigger.
I've got a modern gravel bike (GT Grade) with rigid forks and so have stuck with the rigid on the Bravado too. I didn't go off road today, but round my way the trails are literally gravel, so don't really need suspension. 👍

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've got some Sora 9x2 I was going to use, just because I have them kicking around. Any reason not to? I had also intended to run avid db7s. Not sure on bars and stem combo though, I've only ridden road and a long time ago so not sure what the current wisdom is, especially as converting an MTB frame.

You just need to order the long pull version and then they do v brakes without any additional gizmos. Work really well, feels very crisp.
As you say, not cheap, but a nice bit of engineering and work well.
I think the long pull ones are based on the Tektro RL 520s, which are V specific. I have them (levers only) on a bike. They are quite comfortable but for big hand.

Latest posts

Back