GT RTS 3 '95

Bcxbcx

Orange 🍊 Fan
20220211_140607.jpg
A new project. I would have liked one back in the day, but there is too many bikes out there, and never enough money or time.
A full rebuild, including the forks. I'm going to strip and polish the frame (with black rear triangle), and probably go for yellow paint on the Forks, in a nod to a typical higher spec RTS of the era (it will stay RTS3 on the decals).
Original wheels are long gone so I'll fit some spare Hope/LX on 121s with IRC missile tyres, that I already have. Not sure on seatpost/stem/bars, maybe standard or Syncros. Probably get a flite saddle. I will fit some Maguras I have, and I'll otherwise keep it STX RC.
End goal is a relatively Inexpensive fun bike that looks a little like the below. stw-2018-10-01-gt-team-RTS.jpg .

Reactions: cbb
Is that the ebay one that went for about £90 recently?

Was very tempted as my next build will be an RTS - but I wasn't brave enough to take a punt after almost losing my shirt on Sex One that was rough as a badgers 4rse before Christmas.

What's the condition like? I figured the forks were toast and there was a lot of tarnishing pretty much everywhere else.

Is that the ebay one that went for about £90 recently?

Was very tempted as my next build will be an RTS - but I wasn't brave enough to take a punt after almost losing my shirt on Sex One that was rough as a badgers 4rse before Christmas.

What's the condition like? I figured the forks were toast and there was a lot of tarnishing pretty much everywhere else.
Yeah I got it off ebay recently.
In general its ok, frame is good, I can't see any cracks, only 1 small ding etc, I'm not worried about the paint as I want to polish it up. The rear shock moves, but I'll test it out more fully at the weekend.
Fork doesn't budge, and I know nothing about the quadra 21s, but I imagine its elastomers and they've turned to goo. What I can see of the stanchions they are good. I was going to have a go at resurrecting them, but If they are f'ed I've got another option I could put on it.
Mostly the stx stuff is Ok, some minor corrosion, but a lot less wear than I was expecting, so I plan on keeping it on there.

Watching with interest. I quite fancy an RTS as I've always liked the look of them. Was actually one of the first full sus bikes I tested (up and down the road at a bike show) but never owned one. Starting to seem a bit rare now. Good luck with it.

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few days.
I'm currently heading down the path of the RTS I would have built on a budget back in the day.

But back in the day I always thought it would look good to put a Girvin Vector Fork on an RTS....
I can't find any photos (in a quick search).

I feel mission creep settling in.

Back