1997 GT RTS

GTLoz

GT Fan
Picked this up earlier this week. Having a Timberline (currently undergoing rebuild), Backwoods (Frame) and LTS (Frame) I quite fancied a RTS to add to the collection. The RTS was somewhat outdated by 1997 and it was very much entry level spec in terms of components.

The RTS now in my possession is somewhat curios in its spec, it has obviously been used and I'd guess components replaced as they broke/wore out.
Wheels are unfortunately unbranded (guess cheap), but run smoothly,
shimano brifters, work fine but possibly too modern and I'm not a big fan of them aesthetically.
XT rear mech - again too modern but may well end up staying.
STX front mech which will stay.
Forks are RST 261 (not the 381 listed in the catalogue).
Brakes are avid Vs which work well and will remain on the bike.

I aim to make it a bit of a rolling resto as I have to many other projects to warrant a complete strip down at this stage. The forks are hardly functioning, so they are high on the "to be replaced" list.

Weighed in at 14.8kg, so no light weight, anyone know what a decent weight for an RTS is?

The frame is a 16inch (measured the GT way), not a big fan of headset extenders, so the stem/bars are likely to return to a more conventional level soon. And yes it does currently have bar ends (of a sort) mounted to a riser bar, again this is likely to change.

Attachments

• 20230810_195727.jpg
    20230810_195727.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back