GT Lightning - Polishing Titanium

Dan2241989

Dirt Disciple
Apologies in advance if this has been asked before... I recently picked up a GT Lightning, which as most know is titanium. However, its titanium with a finish - and I was wondering if anyone had been successful with polishing and removing any marks, but keeping the finish - or is it a complete no no, and I'll end up with raw titanium should I polish to much? Need some guidance from some gurus! Thanks!

I've a lightning myself, thankfully no polishing required. However I have polished some ti frames in the past, and using different grades of pad, you can get different finished from Matt to shiny.

I think it may depend on what you need to polish and where/what finish you need to achieve.

The finish is bead blasted. You will struggle to match or refinish it to any decent standard.

How bad is it?

If it’s bad as some of them are. Then look at polishing it totally which removes the unique finish and makes it more like every other Ti frame. If you go this way don’t be tempted to decal it as a Xizang as they are different

Thanks for your replies guys. It’s not bad, just me being super fussy. I’ve gently used metal polish and some scratches have gone.

Thanks for your replies guys. It’s not bad, just me being super fussy. I’ve gently used metal polish and some scratches have gone.
Polish will do the opposite to the intended finish. I’ve seen many with smooth areas where they have been polished slightly.

Any pics?

It’s supposed to be a kind of satin / rough finish.

Back