GT lightning info/build direction

Re: Re:

d8mok":2n82iekt said:
How tall are you?

I’m 5.11 and wouldn’t want it any bigger really.
5,11 too. I like your build BTW. Looks great. If it fits me (obviously hope so or it will be an expensive mistake), if so a few builds will have to go to make space for it.

Ive got some amp ti coloured forks in the garage, might consider those as bounce options as while I have had many, never actually completed a build with them so not ridden a set.

Re:

Always thought the 20” gt frames (especially the hardtails) stood the test of time better. I should fit an 18” I have plenty of 18” gts but the 20” just feels right!

Sounds god awful but I bought a 20” 1993 zaskar, ok shape but was a mix of parts, the guy used as a modern xc bike, with 1x9 sram and a 29” front carbon fork with wide bars, OMG the fork is a dream on 20” changes everything, would never dream of doing it on something super precious but hey, 20” Zaskars ain’t exactly hard to come by lately!

BTW : CHECK CHECK CHECK FOR CRACKS

Re:

Yeah, I spent most of my time with 18 inch gts but recently discovered a bigger frame feels better so hopefully the lightning will be just right.

What did you mean about fork in your post? Will be looking at options when I get it.

Re: GT lightning info

The 1993 Zaskar I had used a 29er carbon fork on the front, ugly by all accounts as was designed for a converted taper head tube... but tipped the geometry to a super comfy slope.

Sorry I don’t have any pictures I disassembled last week for storage!

:p

Re:

So I now have the bike. Broke my first rule for the build which was to simply pop it all back together and ride it first, change later.

Probably a good job I did as the bb is stuck, so now soaking in oil in the hope I can remove it and get on with the rebuild.

Everything else came off without issue.

It had been built up with an a2z disc mount out back. I am probably going to use v brakes as I have some practically new crossmax ceramics (I bought them new years ago and they have been on a garage queen that's done less than 100 miles.

Not sure what I'm going to put on it yet. I have a mint m952 groupset I could use, m970 also, or xo 9 or 10 speed too. I'm not sure which way to go. Thoughts? I've just rebuilt my dbr axis tt using a nos m970 grouoset so thinking I don't want a similar build.

Forks are also up in the air. I have some mint and recently services pace rc39s, some nos 32mm sid world cups (with v mounts) or some rigid carbons to pick from. Again, thoughts?

Finishing kit, hmmm. Modern 31.8 stem and bars? Retro ti bar and stem?

Decals are in great shape and have red accents, not sure whether to leave them or get some replacements in the blue scheme arms have seen some online for sale.

Brakes. I have xtr m950, m970, kcnc vb1 or some pauls clones in blue or silver/grey.

Cranks I could go various ways, groupset options as mentioned, blue, black or silver middleburn rs7s (square taper), other more modern ht2 or similar (race face, fsa, e-thirteen) or perhaps this is the build to finally de-nos some caramba sidewinders?

First World problems for sure, but I'm not very decisive.

Re:

I had exactly the same issue as I mentioned before

Hopefully it will come out using traditional methods or by a tool in the vice.

If that doesn’t work let me know and I’ll tell you how I did mine.

You won’t like it , it involves a angle grinder , a dremel and lots of careful cutting. And then some force. And a little help from above

Re: Re:

d8mok":2w7d1z8r said:
I had exactly the same issue as I mentioned before

Hopefully it will come out using traditional methods or by a tool in the vice.

If that doesn’t work let me know and I’ll tell you how I did mine.

You won’t like it , it involves a angle grinder , a dremel and lots of careful cutting. And then some force. And a little help from above
I don't like it already. The bb and splines are sound so fingers crossed. While it is soaking I want to decide on the build so its ready and waiting when that day comes.

Re:

What BB is on there?

Are you sure not the standard one?

The standard one was one of those cheap nasty all steel rusty units even when new hence my issues. I’m pretty heavy handed and it wouldn’t budge inch.

Re:

That’s definitely a good thing then.

One method is to get the nylon side out as that should be easier and then leave other side to soak as you will get better access

Back