GT lightning info/build direction

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm the new owner of a GT Lightning. Been a fan and owner of GT since the early 90s, started with an RTS 2 back then, my Team RTS is my keeper and the lightning is joining that party.

I know they were only made for a couple of years (97/8 right). And they were essentially a xizang but not welded in the US. I'm keen to learn more as I've read conflicting things about the tubes so hoping to find out definitively as much as possible.

Would like to see other builds as well. Not sure how I'm going to build mine as yet

Very interested in what travel suspension suits the frame, as well as anything else that will help me decide on what kit will complement the frame, period or otherwise.

Thanks

Re:

I’ve got a Lightning. Really cool bike I think as it’s finish is different to lots of Ti bikes. Has the BB been out ? Seems a common issue that they get stuck as they had a crappy one in standard.

I bought mine standard and now is full XTR /SIDs etc.

Re: GT lightning info

70/80mm travel +- as it's from that era.

Russian*/Thai tubing/build... iirc-ish
Better than Xizang as not made in USA.
Something like that.*

There has been a lot of talk on here.
A search will probably find it, if I get the time I'll see if I can find some threads I remember about it.

ooo, iirc 27.2 for 1997, 27.4 for 1998 most of the time. There should come with an alu shim in them as standard.

If you really want to know, and you like the idea of using Facebook for finding information and having a good time with like minded communities then https://www.facebook.com/SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum and find post by gm123...... I forget the other numbers.

*Actually it uses USA made tubing ?

Re:

Better than Xizang as not made in USA.
;)

Thanks. Had assumes 80mm would be the ideal fork travel.

As with most of my builds, I'm pretty I decisive, but considering either a modern-ish 10x1/10x2 or period xtr m952 9x3.

Thankfully the seat post size on mine will be 27.2 (confirmed) so no having to search for the oddball 27.4 which is nice.

The frame has been well looked after and has a few bits I'd change anyway (cranks and bb are one such thing, but at least the original is not in there).

So what was the original spec? I don't usually do catalogue but may consider it for this one.

Re:

This is mine.

Came standard apart from lemon wheels. STX RC kit mainly.

One pic shows it now as I’ve changed wheels to have black spokes. And bars are now Titec.

Re:

Mine has the red decals. Might consider some 32mm world cup sids in black or some pace rc39s as I have these and while we're destined for something else, plans change. I would not have considered I'd be getting a lightning a few weeks ago

My only concern is sizing as the one I'm getting is the 20 inch (largest they did). Current owner is same height/build as me but I'd usually ride an 18 or 19 so will find out when it arrives.

Back