GSB's Whyte PRST-4 build

Great received with thanks.
I notice it mentions a template to set the rear shock up is that worth finding or should I just add my weight in Lbs to the rear and about 75% of that as mentioned earlier in this thread>? Or set the sag as per usual....

I collected the bike on Sunday and am really looking forward to taking in on a proper test ride. It needs a few things doing first though

Re:

There’s a great number of ways to set up, but the fact is that you should just use what suits you.

I’ve never seen a template, but the rear end of both bikes is identical to Marins of the same period, so if you want one that might be a good place to look. By the time they’d got to PRST-4 they’d abandoned the template anyway.

I set them up with only minimal sag at the front (5mm of travel) and a bit more at the rear (10mm). Pressure required to achieve this depends upon recent levels of lager consumption. Presently that would be a pressure somewhere between bottom of Marianas Trench and a supernova, but you may have had a vastly different working from home experience.

Re:

Hi Guys... Just picked up a JW4 there as I've always loved them and just had to buy it when I saw it up for grabs. Only paid 350 Euros for it and she is in great nick! However, I'm 6'1" and fairly heavy and I've found that the shocks are bottoming out all the time. It's my intention to freshen up the components on the bike to more modern day items so I'm going to start with the shocks. My question is, what would you all recommend? I know that they are 165 / 38 so there are many choices out there... Right??

Beware of shocks with extra chambers or fat bodies. They won't fit. I'm not sure what the maximum pressure is for an X Fusion but if you've read around the thread you'll have seen me preaching the mantra of body weight in pounds rear and 75% front. I'm running 180 psi/140psi in mine. I also have the PRST4 with the much quieter Fox shocks and use the same pressures. Enjoy it.

Duxuk":1o3m8jde said:
Beware of shocks with extra chambers or fat bodies. They won't fit.

Quite. The space available, particularly in the front, is quite limited. The limitation is such that you may even get fouling on the controls or the air valve on some designs. The extra volume shocks are also a no go as the kinematics of this front end are much better suited to a small volume shock that ramps up it’s spring rate much faster as it runs through the travel.

Personally, I like fox shocks. Platform damping works really well and is preferable over older ‘dumb’ shocks, and if you’re buying used the expense of them professionally rebuilt is worth every single penny.

Re: Re:

GSB":35e9s131 said:
I have the PRST 1 and the JW4 manual.

If you have a PRST 4, then the first will cover the front, and the second one will cover the rear.

Can’t upload .pdf files here, so PM me an email address and I’ll send them.

This thread has been a great read. I have just picked up a PRST-1 frame that needs a refurb all round so again very helpful.

One thing that is high on my list of questions is replacement graphics. Does anyone have any leads? I hear that Whyte no longer have the images on file, but has anyone had these remade?

Cheer!

No-one that I ever found has them. I actually redrew most of the graphics for the PRST-4 in CAD which was a horrendously laborious process of tracing, scanning, redrawing, printing, dimension checking and general messing around. This wasn’t helped by the fact that I’d never used a CAD program before. The results though were fantastic, right up to the moment my computer died.😡 I’m frustration I went an entirely different route instead.

I still have all the tracings and some of the compete data files though if I ever fancy having another go. 🙄

Get in touch with gil_m at retrodecals (sales@retrodecals.co.uk if I'm not mistaken). He may have them on file already.
If he doesn't have them, he'll probably be able to tell you what you need to do and send him so he can make replicas.

The graphics on my PRST4 are in good condition. Is there a way they could be copied and remade for anyone who wanted them?

Back