Grey Clockwork

Bike Hoarder

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Picked this up last year, from ebay. Nice chap, think he's a member here - sorry can't remember your username!

I'm so up to my eyes in house renovation/DIY that I find very little time to actual build anything bike related at the moment, hence why it's taken me so long to get even any pictures (please ignore the background!).

So, it's a grey - not popular... can someone clued up give me the year? It needs stripping, treating, painting and stickering - before it gets to the stage of my other clockwork with pin holes appearing.

More pics...

Drivetrain...

DX, trying to go black with this. I have some bits ready;

Nice short cage rear, and matching front mechs - will need a clean and polish.

STI's - excuse the dust, these I've had for a while waiting for the right build. The right hand shifter is actually on my Cannondale at the moment.

@Vital. has sorted me some black DX cantilever brakes, will post a few pics when they arrive.

Need to sort a chainset - silver or black arms, with a black outer chairing.

Last edited:
For the wheels I've got some bits lined up ready... Ambrosia CC22 rims, one is used (32h) and been in my possession for at least 15 years. The other popped up on ebay a few months ago, NOS 36h, couldn't say no and even paid extra postage so it didn't go missing with Evri.

Please ignore the state of the old one, it'll clean up with some paraffin and a dab of glue for the sticker. The panaracer spike won't be staying...

Amberwall smoke and dart ready to go.

Hubs will be black DX - if I can source a 36h rear (may go LX if I can find one at a sensible price). I've got a pair of silver I can use, but really want to stick to the black.

Chain and cassette probably got laying around in the parts stash. Will have to source some spokes and build the wheels - that'll be a job for a nice summer's evening after work one day with a cider at hand.

Hmm... headset, Tange off ebay I think unless a DX one turns up.

Yep, it's a 1992 and my favourite ever Orange colour after lusting after one bitd. We were all recovering from a neon and purple overload and the simple silver/grey looked just lovely. Ever since I joined retrobike I've been hunting one of these in good condition but am still waiting. Back when I first joined I got a frame powder coated grey and did a smart build to replicate the bike I wanted back in 92.

Seat post will be 26.8mm and they came with Mavic M231 rims and Orange Stalk or Stalk Lite stem. Gil_M on here has the correct decals on file.

Latest posts

Back