Really bad rat bikes

🤣 Riding things that are too big for you happens when you are younger because "you will grow into it" but also when we are older (but none the wiser!) because they are so damn comfy/upright compared to 90s sized stuff we rode/raced on with them crazy high posts and crazy long stems. I bought a 1988 22" Hardrock (I'm only 170cm) for the Suntour parts to rob off it, but I'm tempted to keep the whole bike because if makes me grin every time I get on it. So I can see why your obsessed with riding BIG things! 🤣;)

🤣 Riding things that are too big for you happens when you are younger because "you will grow into it" but also when we are older (but none the wiser!) because they are so damn comfy/upright compared to 90s sized stuff we rode/raced on with them crazy high posts and crazy long stems. I bought a 1988 22" Hardrock (I'm only 170cm) for the Suntour parts to rob off it, but I'm tempted to keep the whole bike because if makes me grin every time I get on it. So I can see why your obsessed with riding BIG things! 🤣;)
Yeah I've been riding 56 to 58 cm, even bought 60cm which is stretching it but I can't help myself. Used to ride 48cm... :D

Sent you a PM as not to derail much more

Me too & I reckon an Orange is the perfect brand. Rather than paint I think I will eventually partially rub a steel frame down to bare metal & leave it out to rust then keep it treated with boiled linseed oil like the truck in this vid. I've seen rust effect vinyl wraps on some cars but real rat has to be real rust IMO. I have a candidate in mind but not ready to do it yet.

Too true, the "rusty" wrap is not a good look IMO. Neither is the intentional building of "Rat" anything though to be fair. They're more "rat styled" when they get built that way. The only true rat evolves over time, to my mind & is basically just kept in sound working order (or at least fit for purpose!) with no regard for how it looks.

Nothing against rat "style" builds mind, they have a place in my dark heart for sure & takes me back to my old hump-backed GPO bike I used to daily. Found in a skip, It was kind of rat in that I trued the rotten wheels, sourced pads to keep the rod brakes working, replaced the tubes but kept the rotten tyres & re-covered the seat using some old baggy denim from the bottom of the wardrobe but I did end up giving the whole thing an "urban camo" paint job with Halfrauds matt black + grey & white primers. Damn I wish I still had that turd, faithful POS it was (Hell I've even just unintentionally found it's name, the GPO-S)

Sorry OT & hope I didn't come across as poo-pooing rat style builds, certainly not doing that as they're just awful enough to cause drooling here. Loving the wilful departure from the "no bright colours"/"monochrome" thang too, rules are for sheep to follow & to that I think we'd all say Mint Sauce!

Back