Collective knowledge question on Orange clockwork forks.

enigma

Retro Guru
So I am doing up an Orange clockwork '91/92 I think from memory. Previous owner I bought it from on here, username escaping me will look it up when I get a minute, he described in a thread here chucking on some fat forks he had..
I was and am very happy with the purchase as it came with Saracen wide , cranked bars, and some tired Dia compe levers ive restored..
To the question.. what's the standard forks axle to crown?
The fork is ok, and my slightly newer silver and green clockwork has what appears to be the same fork, but they were black mis matching when I got that one, and all the pictures appear to show a more tapered , lighter fork..
I have some Marin rockstar's which are the same axle to crown, much lighter and I know from experience more pliant ride.
So what do the experts reckon? Stick with the fat forks if we call them that..? Or spray up marin forks with the frame if they are closer to original..?
Will add pictures when I figure out why my phone isn't letting me!

390/395 will be A2C, pre the March of longer and longer suspension lengths until we get the bikes the 2010+

Youll need 1" forks.

Fit any forks you want.

Marin are usually 1 1/8" unless really early ones.
Agh.. embarrassing should know this, being a relative newcomer to proper retro I had forgotten this, no I don’t think the Marins are old enough to 1” so that makes the decision easy! Thankyou

So I am doing up an Orange clockwork '91/92 I think from memory. Previous owner I bought it from on here, username escaping me will look it up when I get a minute, he described in a thread here chucking on some fat forks he had..
I was and am very happy with the purchase as it came with Saracen wide , cranked bars, and some tired Dia compe levers ive restored..
To the question.. what's the standard forks axle to crown?
The fork is ok, and my slightly newer silver and green clockwork has what appears to be the same fork, but they were black mis matching when I got that one, and all the pictures appear to show a more tapered , lighter fork..
I have some Marin rockstar's which are the same axle to crown, much lighter and I know from experience more pliant ride.
So what do the experts reckon? Stick with the fat forks if we call them that..? Or spray up marin forks with the frame if they are closer to original..?
Will add pictures when I figure out why my phone isn't letting me!
06C9817C-632C-4770-BEFF-AA31557E128B.jpeg
These are the forks that came with the frame, my other older clockwork has the same forks but I know that was built from a frame, by a shop so presumably these are a proprietary fork of the time? Curious on what they are though less important now we have established due to rookie mistake these are correct steerer and will be used!

They're posh forks, looked on by many a skinny fork teen. Surpassed only by the Alu or Pace forks, if that was you bling thing.
Look up 'Tange Big Fork' * (and of course rebrands and similar styles).

Date codes and actual manufacturer are often on the steerer tube.

*Not saying these are but it is the style...

They're posh forks, looked on by many a skinny fork teen. Surpassed only by the Alu or Pace forks, if that was you bling thing.
Look up 'Tange Big Fork' * (and of course rebrands and similar styles).

Date codes and actual manufacturer are often on the steerer tube.

*Not saying these are but it is the style...
Agh ok, I will look, these I don’t think are as the finish on the welds is less perfect and they feel a little heavier than the ones on my other clockwork, which felt very light… and the weld finish etc was perfect.
So the other bike perhaps Tange which means I learnt something!
Will check out the steerer shortly… thankyou

Latest posts

Back