Goose impersonator disc brakes

Ah...you linished them. That might be the problem. You should have furgulated them.

But seriously the M596 are good calipers. Malaysian made, mostly, but I have had more problems with XT than the M896 re piston leakage. I think the QC is very good, and only seldom hear of problems.

There is the Shimano leaky seal issue.
Alignment of the caliper and facing of the mounts. I've seen all three cause noise and vibration.

Right - my goose now flown. Cleaned the disc (goose still in there). Removed pads...not contaminated. Removed adapter. I’ve got clearance problems on the 203 disc despite using a 183 converter from 180 post mount on Manitou Mattocs. This should give clearance but it didn’t, and I had to include two stainless washers into the system. I put them under the mount originally, and when I moved them to the caliper-mount interface, and found I only needed one washer rather than two. Goose gone!

My goose has gone! Yay. The bike is finally useable in built up areas! I may even ride it!

Just swapped to cheapo clarkes organic pads......£5.98 for both pairs.... all fixed.

The braking seems fine, stops the wheel for endos/ 180s etc and can do skids and wheelie control with the rear.........oh......hang on......just like cantilevers :oops:.......

What was all the fuss about discs again?

My first experience with disc brakes swore me off them for nearly a decade. No matter what I tried (including several complete replacements of calipers, pads, discs), nothing worked to get rid of the squealing under heavy braking. I strongly suspect it was a frame facing/alignment issue as none of my subsequent bikes have had an issue - except with superstar brand of sintered pads recently (I went back to organic).

I reckon disc brakes fall into the same category as tubeless tyres: absolutely fantastic if everything goes well with set up, but a nightmare if you have to troubleshoot (unlike the traditional alternatives).

Back