Getting used to a modern bike?

jonboy

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on getting used to the geometry of a modern bike.

I've had a couple of test rides and am concerned that what should be the right size bike for me feels big (a large). Is this to be expected for the first few rides until I get used to it?

The wheelbase is 5 inches longer than my retrobike that I ride currently, so i can understand why it feels different.

I rode a medium too which I am in theory 1" taller than the recommended max height, but it felt more 'right' than the large over a single test ride.

My concern is that when I get used to the reach on a medium, it could end up feeling too cramped and a bit short?

Any advice much appreciated!

Re:

How “modern” are we talking? Ie Not year but what bikes ?

What kind of riding and what skill level?

The wheelbase has no bearing on the cockpit. If the medium felt the right size then go for that.

Some people say i should ride a large, most feel too stretched out for me, so i ride the size that suits me, every one is different. I think you did the right thing by test riding both sizes and it sounds like you already know which one fits you the best.

Companies generalise on sizing, some people overthink the process, a bike is a bike, if it fits and your confy on it then ride it. Though you can get used to any bike over time, i feel you may as well go with the size that feels right to start with.

Nothing stopping you going back for a second ride anyway.

Re:

I depends on where the saddle was set and how long the stem was IMO. I've spent enough time trying to get smaller bikes to fit that I now know it's easier to down-size a big bike rather than up-size one that's too small.

Properly modern bikes will feel a world away from retro. I found that after a few rides it's the retro that starts to feel odd!

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3t2ck616 said:
I depends on where the saddle was set and how long the stem was IMO. I've spent enough time trying to get smaller bikes to fit that I now know it's easier to down-size a big bike rather than up-size one that's too small.

Properly modern bikes will feel a world away from retro. I found that after a few rides it's the retro that starts to feel odd!

Why does that make me feel sad?!

Stressed":2cvtcyjp said:
Why does that make me feel sad?!

That shouldn't make you feel sad. I love tearing down a good rock garden on my modern full suss, but when I ride my retro's they do feel very different and odd, with the elbow's out ,head down position. But I feel 21 again and you can't beat that feeling. Modern and Retro are worlds apart and I wouldn't have it any other way :cool:
Vive La Differance :!:

Re:

Getting used to modern geometry and getting the right size bike for you are two different things, but generally I feel more comfortable on a modern bike which is towards the "smaller" end of the scale for my size.
Getting used to the different geometry is mainly a matter of riding the bike, and riding it some more, and more, and adjusting your riding style as needed. If you've not ridden a very modern bike before then it'll feel pretty weird at first, maybe for a few rides , so maybe go back for another test ride and see if you feel differently about the sizing 2nd time out.

d8mok":g6muu3xg said:
How “modern” are we talking? Ie Not year but what bikes ?

What kind of riding and what skill level?

Thanks everyone for comments so far! :D What should be a really exciting opportunity to treat myself to a new bike has turned into an exercise of indecision and self torture. I feel like what ever I choose it's going to be an expensive mistake.

I mean 'Modern', as in the latest model - a 160mm F / 140mm R travel, 27.5" wheel bike.

My riding is probably going to be a mix of short blasts round the local woods, a few trips to the local-ish trail centre, and less frequently some longer trail rides.

My skill level is currently 'a little bit rusty', but I used to race DH back in the day and still count myself has having a good skill level despite the lack of recent riding. Now my kids are riding I am finding reasons to ride again myself.

jimo746":3fikwu3l said:
Getting used to modern geometry and getting the right size bike for you are two different things, but generally I feel more comfortable on a modern bike which is towards the "smaller" end of the scale for my size.
Getting used to the different geometry is mainly a matter of riding the bike, and riding it some more, and more, and adjusting your riding style as needed. If you've not ridden a very modern bike before then it'll feel pretty weird at first, maybe for a few rides , so maybe go back for another test ride and see if you feel differently about the sizing 2nd time out.

Thanks for this comment Jimo. Sadly the opportunity for another test ride isn't there any longer - the shop had the loan of some demo bikes only for a weekend.

Interesting you say you feel more comfortable on a modern bike that is towards the smaller end of the scale.

Is the reach that much different on a modern to a retro? I think the medium was about 2" shorter saddle to bar than my retro.

I tend to size down on modern bikes. I could apparently ride large or medium - I nearly always go for medium as I like a smaller more agile bike.

I had a go of my mate's full suspension Kona the other day (I normally ride a hardtail). Felt like riding a sofa and horrible to ride up hills, but I got my fastest time ever down a particular descent and the braking was excellent as the bike bounced around less.

If you are unsure, perhaps try to hire it for the day?

Back