Furthest distance you would travel ...

enc

Kona Fan
What’s the furthest distance (round trip) you would/have traveled to pick up a bike? I’m talking physically driven in your own vehicle.

Last edited:
Re:

That's a good question!

I think from memory the furthest was a 450 mile round trip from the Smoke up to Harrogate, in order to collect a £60 KHS... I did treat the OH to a Hotel stay and various treats as collateral though.

Her comeback was to then drag me on a 600 mile round trip up to Peterlee, to collect a knitting machine. With no fancy stopover anywhere or any other niceties. Just a nice bill to refill the hired Transit van with diesel :facepalm:

The lady we bought it from did treat us to tea and biscuits though :LOL:

A committed bunch eh?
Biggest roundtrip i made to pick uop a bike was 80 miles.. Think that’s pretty much my limit to be honest. On a similar note, Ive never been in a position to buy a new car so have always been prepared to travel for the right used car. much to the bemusement of my Ex who wouldn’t travel more than a 20 miles or so..
There’s been a few wasted trips over the years, the worst… was many years ago when I drove down to Oxford (from Manchester) to look at a
16v Golf GTI … I was assured it was immaculate and from the photos the owner supplied it did look very tidy. You can Imagine my frustration when I turned up and it was shite… I guess you could argue, one person’s idea of immaculate is different to another’s. But even 20 years later the experience still grinds me. I haven’t changed cars in over 5 years and things have moved along in the last couple of years with many dealers now offering “video tours” of their cars which goes someway to reassuring before making a long trip…. Still, id never buy a car without viewing it in person and test driving it.

I've done Coventry to Brighton 320 miles and Coventry to Poole in Dorset also 320 miles in the last 12 months. Both times I treated the other half to chips on the seafront. Treat her like a Lady.
I did once drive to Wigan 220 miles to get a bike for my son on ebay only to find the seller was a scammer.

Re:

Not that I really wanted to, but have done a trip this year which was a shade over 300miles round trip to collect a bike I expected to be outbid on. Turned out to be a bit of a bargain, and earnt me a decent profit - which I subsequently bagged another deal with - which was much closer to home!

Re:

Travelled from Norwich to Bristol to buy my first MTB in 1989. Still got it. Also memorable for my old man letting me drive his 900 Turbo to pick it up. Love those cars.

These days I quite like a road trip to pick up retro tat, er gold; sat nav and decent MPG make it fairly painless and you get to eat pork pies and see bits of the country you don’t know. Yorkshire to Derby, London, Milton Keynes, Macclesfield, Suffolk in recent (pre lockdown) times.

Went to Wales once. Can’t recall why; prolly to look at an old BMW.

280 mile round trip for a Breezer Lightning I was waiting for to arrive from Switzerland patiently where it was stored at my friend's flat for 1.5 years, with a slim chance to ever arrive to Hungary, but with a big help from some very nice young caravanners it came home finally :facepalm: :D

Re:

Did a 350 mile round trip from Skipton to Milton Keynes + 500 to Cardiff, both for Marins, both for my mate and both years ago in the early Retrobike days.

I've done plenty of 200+ trips to Derby, Nottingham, Anglesey (earlier this year for my gravel bike), Middlesbrough, Darlington, Ambleside etc, etc. It would have to be something really special to commit to much further these days though.

Back