Funkungfusion

Re:

With nine hours to spare...... ;)

For close to two years I thought it was done but when I managed to pick up the Funk fork II for the Force GS I had a spare fork, so I did the obvious…

Off came the Tange and on went the Funk fork I. The Tune Titanium steerer needed to be skimmed down slightly in order to fit the crown plus it was drilled through for a pin i.e. the same as the other Funk suspension fork. I also switched out the A-TAC for one without a noodle, moved the Ringlé H2O onto the ‘GS and replaced it with a NOS Specialized Mountain cage.

I guess it must have been like that for about a year, but I wasn’t happy with the stem as it was a 17 degree rise (the previous one was 10 degree) and in my haste I’d used a 1” 1/8, which was fine, but I would have preferred a 1” ¼. I’d also put a Hyperlite on the ‘GS and I didn’t really want to duplicate parts on both bikes, so I decide to sell the stem and bar.

After a bit of head scratching, I decided I’d try and find a Interloc Mountain stem as I’d read somewhere that IRD had had something to do with the development of the Funk suspension fork, so there was going to be an acknowledgement of that through this selection plus the green leaves were a nice touch in matching frame. IRD or Taperlite were the bars of choice.

Unfortunately, I’ve been distracted with other projects and it’s been hanging on the wall like this since November. IMG_9262.JPG

Attachments

• xx_ird_stem.jpg
    xx_ird_stem.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_9272.JPG
    IMG_9272.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_9263.JPG
    IMG_9263.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9264.JPG
    IMG_9264.JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Re:

……………………but there’s more.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the plan hadn’t changed but I’m now having a major rethink since I picked up a 100% genuine Funk unicrown fork from Lid. :D :D :D :D :D

I’ve also been down a bit of a Funk rabbit hole over the last few weeks in anticipation of its arrival! Based on the price list below would I be right in thinking that a F&F that uses a suspension fork is called a "Durango" and if uses the Fat Fork® it's a "Crested Butte"?

For those of you who are wondering; Crested Butte is a mountain resort like Durango, not an amphibian!

So, what to do with my new acquisition? Stick it on the Pro Comp? I think you’ll agree it looks great but now that I have three of the four forks that Funk manufactured, why not try and find the last one? It only took six years to find the unicrown, so let’s get started… 🤦

In the meantime, I think I’m going to try and find a Durango to pair up with the spare fork I now have.

I guess this thread is going to run for some time yet! IMG_9266.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9267.JPG
    IMG_9267.JPG
    758.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9268.JPG
    IMG_9268.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 92FunkPrices.png
    92FunkPrices.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Re: Re:

Swede":3fukzpil said:
……………………but there’s more.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the plan hadn’t changed but I’m now having a major rethink since I picked up a 100% genuine Funk unicrown fork from Lid. :D :D :D :D :D

I’ve also been down a bit of a Funk rabbit hole over the last few weeks in anticipation of its arrival! Based on the price list below would I be right in thinking that a F&F that uses a suspension fork is called a "Durango" and if uses the Fat Fork® it's a "Crested Butte"?

For those of you who are wondering; Crested Butte is a mountain resort like Durango, not an amphibian!

So, what to do with my new acquisition? Stick it on the Pro Comp? I think you’ll agree it looks great but now that I have three of the four forks that Funk manufactured, why not try and find the last one? It only took six years to find the unicrown, so let’s get started… :facepalm:

In the meantime, I think I’m going to try and find a Durango to pair up with the spare fork I now have.

I guess this thread is going to run for some time yet!

They are amazing looking forks. Well done!

Re:

I wouldn't be too eager as this is going to take a while!

Last edited:
Decisions, decisions...

I've wanted a Pro Comp with a Funk Fat® fork for years but my OCD won't let me pair it with this frame; they're a couple of years apart;), plus I want an OEM paint scheme. I can't bring myself to repaint it and if I did, I'd still have the Tange fork that I'd have to sell and someone would have to repaint that:rolleyes:.

Anybody got a 1992 Pro Comp/Durango frame that's in need of a repaint that they want to swop for this? IMG_4310.jpg

Last edited:
Funkungfusion is about to live up to its name… A funk collection certainly wasn’t something I planned when I started this thread nearly ten years ago but as you can see I’ve had a rather expensive few days! Like buses; you wait for ages and then two arrive at the same time. I might create a new build thread for each but for now I’m going to keep everything here.

I did a deal a few weeks ago with Ant to buy his rather lovely ’94 Durango which has been in his possession for many years and then with two days before we were due to meet the orange one popped up on eBay and I was able to secure that as well :cool: . Expect to see some parts/bikes up for sale over the next few weeks as I need to recoup some cash!

Other than a polish and a headset the Durango doesn’t need much, so I’m going to focus on the orange frame first. IMG_5259.jpeg

So what do we have? At the start of their production Pro Comp’s used riveted and screw-in cable guides and stops, plus they had a welded on seat post clamp. However, by the end of their production in 1994 the stops and guides were welded and the seat post clamp had been replaced with an external one. In the intervening years all manner of combinations seem to be the norm, so using these features to assign a year of manufacture has its limits but it’s the best we have. Therefore, given that this frame still has the welded seat post clamp and the guides/stops are also welded, I’m going to say that this frame was made in either 1991 or 1992.
IMG_5260.jpeg
It’s been repainted at some point as quite a bit of sandy material (blasting media?) fell out of the down tube when I was cleaning it and there’s a tiny patch of purple on the inside of the head tube which I’m assuming was the original colour. There’s also very little fading, which given the crappy lightfastness of DayGlo pigments would mean that it’s either been stored in the dark all it’s life or it’s recent(ish). It also seems logical that the “Daryl Funk Hand built in the U.S.A” and “FUNK” decals were added at the same time. IMG_5245.jpeg

Last edited:
Back