Funk unicorn

Re:

I drew little sketches of the F&F with red, black and silver stems and (for me) the black looked better as it tied in with the fork legs. I'm not planning on changing at the moment as I want to get on with the rear wheel, but never say never...

A single speed WORD hub isn't an option and Paul Component didn't make a freehub, so I need to go elsewhere. Initially I thought I'd go for Ringlé but more recently I've been thinking XTR. I am a big Suntour fan but I don't think it would work for this build plus the x-press shifters are fugly! What do you think? Gear & hub options.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

After all that work, look what I just found and frantically bought on eBay last night!!!! I never thought one would turn up but it’ll be heading my way in the New Year.

Apparently it’s in need of some TLC but does anyone have any experience in servicing these things? D28E1FF5-5835-4B1A-9996-07191B6CEA7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Retro Spud":3ijrk2qj said:
I’m really pleased for yah !

What a great surprise end to the new year !
Tell me about it! Christmas and a few birthday presents all in one...

I don’t think the black stem will work now but that’s not the end of the world. Plus the earlier fork can now go on the Pro Comp, which is where it should be (age wise).

jez-4-bikes-max":wjtmt5ry said:
They're simply manitou 2s inside - pretty simple!
I’d read that as well, somewhere but nobody has taken either of the forks apart online and posted photos etc. so it’ll be interesting to see if that’s true. The adjustment dial is at the top on this fork whereas on the Manitou it’s at the bottom, so there are some differences.

Swede":c4pvxgen said:
jez-4-bikes-max":c4pvxgen said:
They're simply manitou 2s inside - pretty simple!
I’d read that as well, somewhere but nobody has taken either of the forks apart online and posted photos etc. so it’ll be interesting to see if that’s true. The adjustment dial is at the top on this fork whereas on the Manitou it’s at the bottom, so there are some differences.

Great find and what a stroke of luck! It's definitely a simple elastomer stack and modeled after the Manitou 2. Below is a link to the Manitou assembly for your convenience. The only difficult part of rebuilding is reaching the leg assembly screw. Manitou made a tool to do this easily and I have one but lent it to a local bike shop. You can cobble a similar tool by using a 5mm allen wrench or 5mm hex bit on ¼” drive socket. The key is finding a long enough socket drive extension which needs to be about 10-12 inches ideally. Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll try to help out.

http://suspensionforkparts.net/manuals/ ... itou_2.pdf

Very nice frame! Is this polished Al? How is it holding vs. oxidation and pitting?

Smithjss70:1zxmyvrf said:
Great find and what a stroke of luck! It's definitely a simple elastomer stack and modeled after the Manitou 2. Below is a link to the Manitou assembly for your convenience. The only difficult part of rebuilding is reaching the leg assembly screw. Manitou made a tool to do this easily and I have one but lent it to a local bike shop. You can cobble a similar tool by using a 5mm allen wrench or 5mm hex bit on ¼” drive socket. The key is finding a long enough socket drive extension which needs to be about 10-12 inches ideally. Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll try to help out.

http://suspensionforkparts.net/manuals/ ... itou_2.pdf
I think you're right as I don't think it's the TL-1 with the oil damper.

I sold the long allen key with my old Manitou I's but I think I have a socket drive extension that should be long enough. However, there are allen bolts in the drop-outs which aren't in the ad shots, so maybe this change was made afterwards? All the photo's I've collected online show this.

Have you noticed that the legs can be turned? Not sure if that's the bonding that's failed or something else but until it arrives we can only guess... Funk TL-1 fork.jpg FunkII2.jpg s-l1600_4 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Back