Froggleg brake installation.

colinbow

Retro Guru
Please excuse my inability to send photos but I hope I can explain my problem. I have just bought on impulse a froggleg brake set. My problem is working out how to set up the springs. I can see how the short stubby end fits into the bike frame and the coil cyclinder over the brass barrel protrusion but what do you do with the long end at the other end of the spring coil?On my cantis the second end is also stubby and fits into a hole in the brakearm. This long end just sits there doing nothing.Where does it fit? Thanks Colin

Thank you so much for helping. When you look at the springs only 1 of my 4 has the sharp bend at the end of the long end.. This one fits great as you describe. The other 3 have a kink in them but no bend. They lie flush with the slot in blue almost parrallel with it?

Thank you so much for helping. When you look at the springs only 1 of my 4 has the sharp bend at the end of the long end.. This one fits great as you describe. The other 3 have a kink in them but no bend. They lie flush with the slot in blue almost parrallel with it?
Some pics would be helpful. I have a set and they all have a bend. A kink? No idea how that should work.

No camera The long end has like a dog leg in it but no bend. I presume original owner had them working. Will see what anyone else can offer. Could I not put a bend in myself?

No camera The long end has like a dog leg in it but no bend. I presume original owner had them working. Will see what anyone else can offer. Could I not put a bend in myself?
A kink suggests there should be a notch somewhere on the brakeleg. If you think you can manage bending them, it is a possiblity. If it is a second hand set, maybe it is a mismatch or something. If not, I would try to use it as intended.

What make are they and model. I have a few sets on bikes I can send a pic of.

The history man Thanks. All I can say is that they are white and have FROGGLEGS embossed on outer side with 2 little scrolls close to where cylinder is to push on boss on frame. If they all had a bend on long spring arm like grantourey says all would be fine but only one has.

Back