I think indexing the front is pretty much a flawed idea - sounds great in principle but in practice is thrrrr-thrrrr-thrrr when riding. Campag Ergos with the semi index are a notable exception.

I'm happy with riding with it switched off on the bar-edns my tourer and drop bar gravelish MTB. Definitely if it;s all day in the saddle I would rather switch it off than hear the rear mech rattling, even a little.

I have both, indexed is undeniably more convenient, I agree re: trimming front mech. Friction is fine on the old s**t I ride. I like Campag but I don't care for Campag shifting, either friction or ergo. Please don't shoot me.🤞

Trying to articulate the thing missing...with friction and a 3/32 chain its bang, you're in. There is a positivity to that. Ok, the chain might be the reason also, the chunkiness of it compared to 10sp and up chains which feel weedy and fragile. In my head I know they're not weedy or fragile (though they can be way more finicky) but a well lubed 3/32 chain banging across a 6sp freewheel? Personally I prefer that.

Why not? Serious question, not getting ready to shoot you down.
I had NOS Super Record on my Uppadine and the change was poor, same with any Record or Gran Sport equipped bikes I've had, Shimano and Suntour of this era are imo superior. The bikes I've tried with Ergo were clunky and not as smooth as Shimano. It is not my intention to cause offence or argument, it's just what I like. Especially as I enjoy conversing with you:)

I'd agree that Campag is a more clunky shift - big clonk and it's in (ever driven a Ferrari?) By comparison Shimano is a little soggy click (Nissan Micra). My biggest beef with Shimano road shifters is that they are too fat and the older (washing line) ones had an odd pivot position for the brakes. I thought they lacked feel in winter gloves. But different strokes for different folks, there is no single right answer. I like Bar-ends as there is a robust simplicity about them.

I don't understand the point about Campag reducing the ability to trim though - it's just a nudge not a click.

Trying to articulate the thing missing...with friction and a 3/32 chain its bang, you're in. There is a positivity to that. Ok, the chain might be the reason also, the chunkiness of it compared to 10sp and up chains which feel weedy and fragile. In my head I know they're not weedy or fragile (though they can be way more finicky) but a well lubed 3/32 chain banging across a 6sp freewheel? Personally I prefer that.
I think I know what you mean, I had a bike with 600 arabesque that was very solid

The bikes I've tried with Ergo were clunky and not as smooth as Shimano
I liked the solid click, not sure I would call it clunky, but not as smooth as ssshimano.

It is not my intention to cause offence or argument, it's just what I like. Especially as I enjoy conversing with you
No offence taken, I enjoy it as well. Value your opinion

it's just a nudge not a click.
True

Back