Frankenstein rescued! - Fisher Prometheus - Part 6 - First ride

Seen a few other comments saying "how did I miss this?" and I'm one of them!

A M A Z I N G thread with some proper skills going on to turn a what most would regard as a write-off frame into one that will hopefully last a lifetime.

No uber expensive tools used to get the frame ready for a pro welder to work his magic. Just a bit of back-yard ingenuity/thinking of using what's to hand (handlebars to remove the layers of tubing) and fundamental metalwork skills that are in danger of being lost with regarding the use of simple hand tools (saws & files) to get the frame immaculately prep for the TIG man. Loving the blast cabinet too!!!

If I had a hat, I'd be taking it off and doing a weird gentlemanly appreciative wave thing...

Very worthy winner of BOTM 💪 :cool:

Truly a splendid work 😍
I started my Prometheus project, and in addition to the Cook Bros cranks I will mount components Suntour XC Pro: what do you think about?
I need the decals but I can't find them: where did you find them?

1992 Gary Fisher RS-1, 1990 Gary Fisher Procaliber, 1992 Cinelli The Machine, 1994 Marin Pine F.R.S, 1998 Turner Burner and ... many other projects

Attachments

• Prometheus.jpg
    Prometheus.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Looking good, great to see another Prometheus being brought back to life. Gil_m on this forum provided the decals, he has a Prometheus too!!!!

Part 6 - First ride

The sun was out, time for the first long ride on the Prometheus. A dry forest and field route proved that the Prometheus was smooth and quiet, with no major issues. A tweak of the gears and adjustment of the saddle was all that was needed. No creaks, rattles and importantly no more cracks. The frame held up well over 15 miles of bumpy tracks and a few downhill sections. Overall, it’s quick to accelerate but stable on the descents, looking forward to the summer and getting some more miles in.

Attachments

• 4E3D47CF-1C00-427E-B59C-0BBBEBE70F39.jpeg
    4E3D47CF-1C00-427E-B59C-0BBBEBE70F39.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
I was just maed aware of this thread from a link elsewhere. Great job on the restoration! I worked in a shop that sold Fisher when this frame was introduced, and had a co-worker who bought and built one. They are rare enough that it is great to see one occasionally. Thanks for the memories.

There's not too much information about these frame only Fishers, I know it was made at Sandvik in the USA and designed by Gary Fisher to be the ultimate mountain bike with all the signature Fisher features of the time, including, the evolution headset and bottom bracket with press fit bearings and extra wide shell, Hipstay chainstays and cast titanium dropouts. The restoration objective was to get back to how it looked in the catalogue in 1990.

View attachment 677402

View attachment 677407

More pictures and the restoration story to follow..... :)

just came across some more pictures of the 1991 US catalog.
Your lower pic was from this 91, just here with a better snippet.
Gary Fisher 1991 catalog Prometheus.jpg

In addition there is a 1990 US catalog.
The inside cover shows the Prometheus too
Gary Fisher 1990 user Ladis S2-3b.jpeg

Back