Flat pedals on a budget

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm after recommendations for some flat pedals that won't break the bank but are decent quality.

I've had some rock bros on a build which seemed good enough. Will be used for light xc and commuting.

Thanks

DMRs have proved reliable for me. I've heard good things about RaceFace chesters too. Plenty of chinese copies about, but tear downs usually reveal some kind of compromise on materials, build or assembly quality.

As above, can't go wrong with dmr. Easy to service too.

Although I changed many years back to wellgo mg1 and have never looked back... now run them on several bikes. Magnesium, so light, although will bash pretty easily as they're pretty soft

DMR V8. Cheap but well built. Mine are 4 years old, been used all year round and I’ve never touched the bearings. If they do go, DMR do axle rebuild kits and the pins are just standard grub screws available from eBay. Plus British parent company you’re supporting.

Thanks for the suggestions, should probably have added to my op that I'm also looking for something light. I've had DMR pedals before and from what I recall they are solid but a little heavy.

I've been scouring various places and there are a few rock bros or clones of them on ebay at very low prices. Many claim to have 3 or 4 bearings per pedal. Having used crank bros a lot for clipless (why are they called this by the way as you have to clip in to them, assume toe clips??) and they have tiny bearings so do wear fast.

I'm an advocate of buying the right tool for the job and also buy cheap, buy twice. Are these cheaper pedals a false economy?

I do like the look of the crank bros 50/50 and would keep it in the family so to speak with the mallets, candy and egg beaters on other builds, but suspect the bearing situation to be the same on these.

While I totally agree with the position of knock off stuff, that video does suggest they aren't too far off the real deal.

Not had nylon pedals, unless removed from a kids bike. Worth considering or is alloy the way?

Had a pair of nylon Nukeproof on the fat bike do the salt water didn’t harm the cage. Light and bearings good but not as grippy as a DMR. Looks like the Neutron Evo is the new equivalent.

Good point about the cage material, not likely to get near salt unless it snows but a consideration for sure.

Back