Flat pedals on a budget

Burgtec Penthouse Flats Mk4 composite. £40
They seem ace to me so far.
Apparently the One Up composite pedals are also really reliable, they were run on a hire fleet at my mates shop.

Cheap eclat or rant. I have use both. They don’t have interchangeable pins but grips enoug if you are not going to do tricks or send hard.

HT P03A ~£30 - tidy pedals, awful name; light, grippy and taken an absolute kicking on my bike.

I tried the composite Burgtec's, really good... but they sit close to the crank arm, if you've slightly bigger feet the One Up ones are a better bet. I have those now and for me they're a much better pedal, kids bikes have comp. Burgtec's on.

DMR V6 plastic bodied pedals on my partners bike seem very good for the price, and not too weighty.
I've been using some Superstar "el plastique" plastic bodied pedals for a couple of years, VERY grippy, and had no issues with them. Also they dont lose paint to wear etc like Alloy pedals do. Not sure if they still sell them, but I'd buy another pair no worries.

If the pedals are going to be used for commuting on roads in the dark then, legally, they are supposed to be fitted with reflectors (Highway Code: Rule 60). I doubt if the police would stop the OP (though they could) but if he were hit by a car it might affect insurance and/or compensation. The opposing side's solicitors would seize on anything that might reduce liability.

Last edited:
Crank Bros Stamp 1. The small version is 299g (pair) and they look the part being quite thin and low profile.

Wellgo lu950 for a proper mtb style pedal

Wellgo lu987u for a cheap and does the job BMX flat style pedal.

Had some 'glow in the dark' flat style from on-one/PX for about £4.99 probably under jobsworth own brand, lasted a good few year commuting.(6 years, as just checked under on-one rand)
Still on the bike, but a good few winters in mud (and not using them for normal off road riding) has made the bearings a bit grindy. That's pretty good value

Online mooching earlier and I found these on amazon for £17 bags. Worth a punt or will they be garbage?

I've currently got mallet 3s on the bike and they seem ok without cleats but aren't really the right tool for the job of commuting/rides home via local trails, though I could stick with that option I suppose.

Interesting point on reflectors, but I'm not planning on riding home after sunset which is when they are apparently legally required. I've not had pedal reflectors since the 90s, had no idea I was breaking any laws by riding at night without them. Always assumed having lights and reflective bits on clothing was enough.

Attachments

• PSX_20210501_164824.jpg
    PSX_20210501_164824.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3
Back