Fork comparison. Pike Vs slide?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I hope to sort a couple of bikes over the Easter break. One is a bit of a rebuild for my eldest. I've been silly and bought two forks for this. Impulse purchase recently was a set of 22 x-fusion slide RC which I've yet to receive but look as new. Travel is 140mm so about right

A while back I bought some pikes. Charger damper, I think around 2020 vintage. I truth I bought 2 sets, the first had light stanchion wear, but planned to drop travel down to 130mm. The other very tidy but need to drop travel (I have the required parts for this).

Both forks are boost, I'm going to run an adapter to allow non boost wheel on them unless I can find a matching boost front for the rear.

What would be the better fork for longevity, service ease and performance?

It's going on a bike a 14 year old will be riding, an I doubt in any anger, just want the build to be decent and hope he enjoys it, and perhaps will get out riding more, maybe even with me on the other bike I hope to get sorted over Easter.

Pros, cons, opinions and any other info welcomed as I'm not up to speed with all this new stuff.

Lots of online comparisons but after reading many, I'm none the wiser as it seems 50/50.

Anyone on here got any experience with either they'd care to share?

I had the 2016 Pike (A1) and it was a great fork after an air spring upgrade. Your's are newer and should have the Debonair spring as standard I think. What version of the charger do they have? I had the RCT3 and it was way better than the standard RC I had on my Lyriks. Easy and quick to do a lowers service on them and parts available everywhere.

No experience of the X Fusion to compare with, although my mate has some variety and prefers them to the bottom end Fox 34's he had before.
I'd stick with the Pikes, mainly because they are a know entity and easy to work on.

Thanks for the reply. I think one set of pikes have the RC, the other rct3. I've no experience with either damper, not had one with a bladder before, well not ridden one, have some dvo diamonds on a build that's taking ages to finish. What's the difference between the 2 dampers that makes the rct3 better? I may need to swap things around if the best damper isn't in the better condition fork.

The x-fusion arrived today. Absolutely mint, look almost new. I'd like to know more about them, all the marketing spiel is similar to every other description so real world experience is needed to help me choose.

That said, the simplest option is to fit the x-fusions as they should be the right travel without changing the internals which I need to do with the likes. I'd still prefer to fit the better fork, as even though my son won't know, I will.

Attachments

• PSX_20240404_234710.jpg
    PSX_20240404_234710.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PSX_20240404_234741.jpg
    PSX_20240404_234741.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1
What's the difference between the 2 dampers that makes the rct3 better?

RC is rebound/low speed compression adjustment. RCT3 had a three position compression dial (Open/pedal/firm) as well as adjustable low speed and compression.
Not sure of the technical details inside the damper but it just felt better, especially the further you went into the travel.

Latest posts

Back