Fixing a Victorian

Hurricane Bawbag’s nephew visited us last night. I have a white pine down, my neighbors split wood pile, his kayak and his covered firewood racks are in my yard. Bricks I had piled were blown a few feet. Part of my shop siding is flapping in the breeze. It took heavy equipment and a tree removal company to clear my mile gravel access road. Trees were up rooted and ended out in our access road requiring a dozer to push the stump back into the woods after the trees were cut out. I’m out of booze and beer and I’m bushed. My wife is still removing limbs but she didn’t cut up the white pine or go for a bike ride either. God bless the gentle sex. I’m reduced to drinking a concoction of cooking wine, brandyed fruit drippings and after shave. I want more. Obviously with the experimental cocktails, exhaustion from wood cutting, hauling and bike riding nothing was accomplished on the Vicky today. I have to fix the gap in my shop siding but it’s 5 meters up. Just imagine, guys, trying this $#/] when your pushing 77 years old. Just getting up in the morning is a struggle, let alone dealing with bawbags cousin. If I had more fingers I would tattoo them “so so“ on one hand and “adequate“ on the other. That way when I opened my eyes in the morning I would have a clue how the day is going to be. The after shave is kicking in, gotta sign off, so long for now pards.

Hurricane Bawbag’s nephew visited us last night. I have a white pine down, my neighbors split wood pile, his kayak and his covered firewood racks are in my yard. Bricks I had piled were blown a few feet. Part of my shop siding is flapping in the breeze. It took heavy equipment and a tree removal company to clear my mile gravel access road. Trees were up rooted and ended out in our access road requiring a dozer to push the stump back into the woods after the trees were cut out. I’m out of booze and beer and I’m bushed. My wife is still removing limbs but she didn’t cut up the white pine or go for a bike ride either. God bless the gentle sex. I’m reduced to drinking a concoction of cooking wine, brandyed fruit drippings and after shave. I want more. Obviously with the experimental cocktails, exhaustion from wood cutting, hauling and bike riding nothing was accomplished on the Vicky today. I have to fix the gap in my shop siding but it’s 5 meters up. Just imagine, guys, trying this $#/] when your pushing 77 years old. Just getting up in the morning is a struggle, let alone dealing with bawbags cousin. If I had more fingers I would tattoo them “so so“ on one hand and “adequate“ on the other. That way when I opened my eyes in the morning I would have a clue how the day is going to be. The after shave is kicking in, gotta sign off, so long for now pards.
Christ on a bike bawbag sounded a bit lively!
Glad the Vicky's ok ! and you and the missus 👍

Reactions: Woz
We’re still cleaning up from the wind storm. I’m thinking I’ll abandon the homemade pedal idea and try and save the original pedal with the race that’s half chipped off. I can’t use that race. I used my drill press and files to turn down an old pedal spindle as a replacement for the original. It works but the pedal would be a quarter inch further outboard. I’m also looking to see if I can find a small enough race to fit on the original spindle. The original spindle is very thin and all the races in my junk are so far too big. I’m still trying to figure out what a smart guy would do in this situation. So far, ah dahno.

Here is the spindle I turned down on the yooper lathe. 24CC1428-629D-4D67-8B60-1822DCC360C1.jpeg

Ah the old vertical lathe trick 👍
that's a lovely looking pedal considering its all random and odd sizing from those times I reckon your doing about all you can. 1/4" isn't ideal but it'll get it going.
Sounds cranky but have you got an old plastic chopping board? The nylon type? Dense but kinda soft....you could make a kind of bearing to replace the ball bearings it might help reduce that 1/4"?

Looking at this and feeling the pain.

Can't suggest anything other than patience, and build up a parts stash.

Just to re-cap.

You must have a ½" spindle for the crank right? But you don't necessarily need those cages immediately for it to roll right?

Could what you already did with the shitty plastic pedal ½" spindles work in another cage from the parts bin?

I know it's not the answer you are really looking for, but it may be one of those things to take on the chin just to unblock an impasse.

OK. I'm throwing this out.

If you take a modern Shimano SPD it is built entirely in a different way. There are no bearing races at the extremes of the spindle.

It's almost like a bush sitting in the middle of the pedal body. The ball bearings are the most tiny things I've ever seen.

1656798465048.png

I really don't know where I'm going with this, except thinking out of the box and suggesting there is always more than one way to cut a tomato.

OK. I'm throwing this out.

If you take a modern Shimano SPD it is built entirely in a different way. There are no bearing races at the extremes of the spindle.

It's almost like a bush sitting in the middle of the pedal body. The ball bearings are the most tiny things I've ever seen.

View attachment 640748

I really don't know where I'm going with this, except thinking out of the box and suggesting there is always more than one way to cut a tomato.
I have a set of spd pedals with a missing part. I gave several sets away too. I’ll look at the one junk set I still have. This spring I got a new set of spd cleats, the easy to remove from the pedal ones, the kind most people hate because they can pull out of them. I use them on my road bikes and love them, I can pop out after a long ride, no more falling over or having to lean on a tree.

Just to re-cap.

You must have a ½" spindle for the crank right? But you don't necessarily need those cages immediately for it to roll right?

Could what you already did with the shitty plastic pedal ½" spindles work in another cage from the parts bin?

I know it's not the answer you are really looking for, but it may be one of those things to take on the chin just to unblock an impasse.
I already did that, it works but I want to try and save that original pedal if I can. Modern spindles are thicker so the bushing isn’t tight on the original spindle. Right now I’m wondering if I could put a threaded insert into a modern bushing so it would fit on the old spindle. The problem might be that the old spindle threads could have been rolled instead of cut. That is why you can’t find wheel hub axle nut replacements, the old American ones were sometimes rolled. Perhaps a non threaded insert would work to take up space. There is a lock washer and nut, besides the threaded bushing, so it would stay in place.

Back