FAT Chance Buckshaver + RC30s

I bought it......I put in M-Powers crystal ball prediction of £400 (well £401) as my limit and it went for £3 less, so guess it was ment to be.
won't collect it for about 2wks due to work, I'll post some warts n all pics when I do so I can be told its a piece of cr*p or not....either way for my purposes its fine as at present I have no plans to do anything other than get it rideable so will only replace things that are properly broken or safety issues and I'm pretty lenient when it comes to that....also the seller says its all fine as it is, but proof will be on pickup.

I had a chat with the seller, story was that he works in the NHS and during lockdown was doing up tatty bikes for key workers (in a minimal way, re-cabling etc, but not full rebuilds as hes not that capable), this came in with a pile of others & the person who ended up with it hasn't ridden in a while so asked Chris to stick it on auction as it was a cut above the other run of the mill ones they were used too, so if thats all true then someone took it to a local tip as thats where all the bikes came from & it ended up with the 'scap' bikes he was givn to fix up...maybe its still is scrap, I'll find out....anyway, nice story if real....I have no reason to doubt it, seemed an entirely genuine guy...he's happy for me to check it over before taking it away so if theres anything terminal (other than the obvious) to look out for let me know.

Deleted this. Really hope its all good for you and look forward to the report/build thread 😁

I saw....well, if its rusted out in any obvious fashion I'll back away....it wasn't even vaguely local so seeing it first wasn't an option.

It'll be fine....... I've seen fishing vessels in worse state than that and they send people into the North sea in them 😄

Believe me it can't be rustier than that dodgly bomber 'klunker' I bought a while ago which is still in bits in the garage, but as its made of girders makes no odds :cool:

The Buck has just landed early thanks to an RB'er who was in the area and kindly picked it up for me.

TT does have a decent chip above the 'U' (as he noted in the description) which is down to the metal but its not dented, the big patch of crap that looked like rust has come off with just two small chips hidden underneath.
Wheels, crank, front mech, seat etc non-original and toast, but thats not a surpise could see the front at least was a disc hub in the ad pics & as was pointed out here the crank would be junk even if it was mint. the gripshifts are a nasty mix of hacked bits, but even if it may possibly have had those originally I'll be switching to thumbies.

I have a enough spare parts around from that era to replace whats needed, Pace forks will stay, similar date to the frame so may have come with it from new I guess....so it was an expensive buy, but I'm happy....its never going to win any awards but at least I won't mind it getting scratched when out and about.

Pics after stripping off a few bits of tat like the computer and a light clean of the frame......left the wheels dirty as they're only to hold it up until I get to the spares shed.

Serial number dates it to 1994.

BUCK .jpg

BUCK CRANK SIDE.jpg

BUCK BB.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 15.31.39.png

BUCK TT 1.jpg

BUCK TT 2.jpg

the lovely grip shift frankensteins monster......
BUCK GRIP.jpg

You've got a lovely bike there. My buckshaver - which i regret selling - was unquestionably the best mountain bike i ever owned (including a few indy fabs that never seemed to capture the zing that the buckshaver had).

Ride it hard. Enjoy it.

Rich

Half of the fun in buying these bikes is getting them and giving them the first clean they've received in a long time :)
Ultimately this is another decent frame & fork combo that has been saved from the scrap heap 👏
Lower jockey wheel looks like a throwing star though! :LOL:

Half of the fun in buying these bikes is getting them and giving them the first clean they've received in a long time :)
Ultimately this is another decent frame & fork combo that has been saved from the scrap heap 👏
Lower jockey wheel looks like a throwing star though! :LOL:
ha....well spotted....yes that's completely worn out, definitely seen a lot of use, haven't looked but imagine the other one is knackered too, but the mech itself is in decent shape from first glance.... clearly the whole bike needs a good going over, that's the fun part....😁

Back