Explosif 92

I've been looking online to find magazine articles about early 90's Explosif's, also to see how much they weighed as standard.
I weighed mine the other day and it is 10.82kg, equivalent to 23.85 lbs.
I found a MBUK test of the 93 Explosif, which states it weighed 23.85 lbs.
The only test I can find of a 92 Explosif is the Explosif Pro, fitted with the Kona suspension fork.

Kona Explosif 1993 Test - MBUK - Nov 1992.jpg

1697173745606.png

Last edited:
Right - cockpit set up and goodbye riser bars.

The Explosif frameset came with the original Kona 165 gram aluminium handlebar. My first thought was 'that's a really narrow bar and might not be great for my back...' and I started looking at bars with a low rise as alternatives for the build.

My thinking here came from my Cinder Cone rebuild last year. I fitted riser bars to get a bit more upright riding position. I rode the bike like this and it was fine, but I never liked the look of the riser bars.

View attachment 784529

I decided to give the Explosif 165 bar a try, using the Cinder Cone as a test bed:

View attachment 784534

The flat bar looks a million times better and I prefer the ride - much better handling on twisty trails. So, the 165 bar gets the nod for the Explosif build and I will also be replacing the riser bar on the Cinder Cone with a flat bar.

The comparison of the bar widths is interesting. Here's me thinking the 165 bar would be too narrow, and yet i used to ride a cut down version of this bar on my Cinder Cone BITD - and not only was it cut down, I also had Onza bar ends on there, making it even narrower - here's a pic from around 1993:

View attachment 784549

Here's the comparison; the third from the top is the Explosif 165 bar, the bottom one is the original 165 bar from my Cinder Cone which I cut down:

View attachment 784542

View attachment 784543

Stem choice for the Explosif stem was straightforward as it came with a mint Velocity stem. Here is a comparison with the original Velocity stem from my Cinder Cone, which I cut down back in 91/92, because weightsaving..

View attachment 784545

Old vs new(er):

View attachment 784547

Having the Cinder Cone as a test bed for the Explosif build is really useful.

BTW the soundtrack for this build is appropriate given these are 91 and 92 bikes..

View attachment 784548
Right - cockpit set up and goodbye riser bars.

The Explosif frameset came with the original Kona 165 gram aluminium handlebar. My first thought was 'that's a really narrow bar and might not be great for my back...' and I started looking at bars with a low rise as alternatives for the build.

My thinking here came from my Cinder Cone rebuild last year. I fitted riser bars to get a bit more upright riding position. I rode the bike like this and it was fine, but I never liked the look of the riser bars.

View attachment 784529

I decided to give the Explosif 165 bar a try, using the Cinder Cone as a test bed:

View attachment 784534

The flat bar looks a million times better and I prefer the ride - much better handling on twisty trails. So, the 165 bar gets the nod for the Explosif build and I will also be replacing the riser bar on the Cinder Cone with a flat bar.

The comparison of the bar widths is interesting. Here's me thinking the 165 bar would be too narrow, and yet i used to ride a cut down version of this bar on my Cinder Cone BITD - and not only was it cut down, I also had Onza bar ends on there, making it even narrower - here's a pic from around 1993:

View attachment 784549

Here's the comparison; the third from the top is the Explosif 165 bar, the bottom one is the original 165 bar from my Cinder Cone which I cut down:

View attachment 784542

View attachment 784543

Stem choice for the Explosif stem was straightforward as it came with a mint Velocity stem. Here is a comparison with the original Velocity stem from my Cinder Cone, which I cut down back in 91/92, because weightsaving..

View attachment 784545

Old vs new(er):

View attachment 784547

Having the Cinder Cone as a test bed for the Explosif build is really useful.

BTW the soundtrack for this build is appropriate given these are 91 and 92 bikes..

View attachment 784548
You’ve always got the option to fit bar extenders on a 165 bar. Makes for being less scary going full pelt on a straight road. I’ve them fitted on mine.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi guys, I have just got my original 1991 cinder cone back to me after not having it since about 2006. It’s in a bad way and I think I’m going to do a full strip and repaint!
Any idea what the colour code is for the paint and where to get it from at all? Also after an original sticker set if you know of a source at all please?
So glad to get this bike back! I literally lived on it when I was 16!
Thanks guys
Mark

Reactions: JCS
Hi guys, I have just got my original 1991 cinder cone back to me after not having it since about 2006. It’s in a bad way and I think I’m going to do a full strip and repaint!
Any idea what the colour code is for the paint and where to get it from at all? Also after an original sticker set if you know of a source at all please?
So glad to get this bike back! I literally lived on it when I was 16!
Thanks guys
Mark
Hi Mark -- what a happy reunion -- sounds like a good project! It's worth starting a thread of your own for this -- it'll attract a lot more interest with its own headline (and pics if/when you have them).

Back