Kona Hei Hei - 199? Who knows.. a rapid assembly

Rambo Mambo

Kona Fan
So this is an interesting one.
I have loved Kona forever. Since I bought my first Kona in the 90’s. It was an all black Fire Mountain. I took it to university and it was eventually stolen.
I’ve had a few since then and the collection is growing. I am completely enamoured by the 94 range and have a couple but the Hei Hei was always the one for me.

Last year, I was lucky enough to pick up a 17” 99 Hei Hei but having built it, I soon realised it was too big so I sold it as quickly as I bought it because I don’t like to hang onto everything L.
In any event, I started a search for a 16”. Like buses, I have ended up with two 16”s (one in transit as we speak) and this is the first to arrive.
Giddy as a schoolgirl I’ve almost completed overnight after months of planning.

How can one plan for a frame that may never arrive? Well, with huge high hopes that the world would conspire in my favour.

The wheels I had built in anticipation after searching for the right parts, the crank I bought on here, the forks I already had etc etc.
the grips are fashioned from an old bit of bar tape that was going to be chucked and I am taken by them. They’re cool and what’s more I’ve got more tape to make more of my own grips. ATI Tomac move over! 😂 ok they’re a bit bumpy but it’s a first stab in the dark.

Anyway, I ramble on..what’s the title about I hear you cry?! Well, in short the serial number is almost gone. This is definitely what it purports itself to be and frankly it doesn’t matter to me. I can make out a KH and that’s about it.

So, that’s it. Planning for months to be almost completed in 24 hours. Once I get into Heiperfocus (hyperfocus - sorry! 😜) I need to see my efforts come to fruition immediately. I have no idea how it takes some weeks/months to get close to completion of an assembly. I don’t mean to be facetious - I am fully aware that everyone’s situation is different and I am impatient I guess.

Enjoy the photos - this may be as close as you get. Keeper? I certainly hope so. 🤘🏼

Attachments

• IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1934.jpeg
    IMG_1934.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 44
Here's my take following a chat with your pal ;) Removed SNs usually indicate a dodgy past :confused:

KH is defo 98/99 and makes it's a Kona Hei Hei so if the decals are original, 98 it is. The 3 should be an 6, so KH16, the next digit would almost certainly be 0.

The first 2 digits are the frame size, then the next 3 the sequential numbered build that season. Given the highest numbered 98 HH frame we have on record is 49, that's why we can be confident the third digit would be 0.

Great to see an original red head tube HH too. Do you have the SN for that / is it already on the register?

That’s changed a little. The RC31 in this mock up is 440mm. The only ones to hand. I’ve since changed to 420mm and it looks and feels better.

Latest posts

Back