Eroica Britannia

Apple Tree

GT Fan
Just been announced that EB is returning in 2022 at Goodwood and the South Downs.

Nearer to me but I enjoyed the Peak District as a totally different part of the country for me. Also, anything Goodwood sounds expensive !

I fancy this, but have never ridden in an Eroica event before.
I've got plenty of pre '87 bikes, but if my kids were to ride with me would their 60's & 70's Clauds be disqualified for having 90's indexed gears?

Indexed gears not allowed but they never check your bike to see if it complies. Basically the requirements are Pre 1987, friction down tube gear levers or bar ends, not more than 7 speeds, brake cables exposed over the handlebars and clips and straps type pedals only, no cleat systems.
What age are the "kids" ? If small I doubt any one will bother, if adult then they should ride as everyone else.

1984​

DURA-ACE 7400 series with Shimano Index System (SIS) is released. A remarkable function of DURA-ACE 7400 is Shimano Index System (SIS) that enable secure positioning of the speed change gear by a single action.

Big Cheese, I am sure you are right and shortly we will be getting a post from someone saying Cinelli cleat systems were available in 1985 or similar, we get it every time Eroica "rules" are discussed. However, the Eroica organisation has made these recommendations for their licenced rides around the World, so best take it up with them.

By Next year my “little ones” will be 15 & 18 respectively... where does the time go?
Our Jimmy’s 1961 Coureur fits the “rules” apart from the 6x2 indexed levers but they can be switched to friction. But my daughters 1978 Majestique 1x7 has a trigger shift so less easy to hide.
Maybe if we keep her tucked in between my 4spd 1954 Jubilee & my wife’s 3spd 1955 Ladies Sports they’d let us off? CEEE8AD5-005D-43C4-9043-78E346D27E94.jpeg 029A4442-C808-4740-844E-704439E15174.jpeg 32EE47C4-9ACF-43F2-B24D-E61361788E7E.jpeg F3676594-6244-49AA-AF4F-E957BC85B133.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate Eroica Britannia, everything for sale that is a little bit older or slightly chromey is bloody eroica or 'retro'

And the 'rules' are daft and just a wee bit divisive as aero was a big thing in the early 1980's with many levers opting for the safer cable routing under the bar tape.

But my daughters 1978 Majestique 1x7 has a trigger shift so less easy to hide.
Maybe if we keep her tucked in between my 4spd 1954 Jubilee & my wife’s 3spd 1955 Ladies Sports they’d let us off?
I’m sure with kids they won’t be too bothered, but could you put an older band-on shifter on for a spirit of the event kind of thing? The kids will probably be quite into riding their bikes ‘like in the olden days’!

Actually reading 'the Roolz' might help - no mention of indexing at all!

1. Pre 1987 road racing bikes built both with gears and without gears are only permitted for the 100 mile route. Modern carbon racing bikes are strictly forbidden.

2. For the 60 mile and 30 mile route reproduction bikes will only be permitted if they have vintage look and characteristic. Assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the original. Strictly No Mountain Bikes or modern racing bikes.

3. Specific authentic bikes such as Pashley Guvnors, Speed 5s, Moulton and Bromptons can enter the 30 mile and 60 mile routes. These bikes are not encouraged for the 100 mile route. Other bikes such as military, postman and delivery bikes are allowed for the 30 and 60 mile routes.

4. Gear shifters on the downtube or exception would be Sturmey Archer style gearing. Modern day integrated gear shifting within the brake levers are not allowed.

5. Pedals with toe clips and straps. Quick release pedals are not permitted. While training shoes are not banned they are not in keeping with the ethos of the event.

6. Brake cables must pass outside the handlebars but other cables can pass inside the frame.

7. Both tubular and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed.

8. Participants must be dressed in vintage or era specific clothing. Lycra and modern style clothing is not permitted. Make the effort, you'll feel better for it!

9. Helmets are advisable but not compulsory. You can buy a vintage style helmet in

Actually reading 'the Roolz' might help - no mention of indexing at all!

It’s why I posted the question as I couldn’t find anything specific.

ps stop hating inconsequential things... it’s bad for your health..😁😁

Back