Eroica Britannia

I’m sure with kids they won’t be too bothered, but could you put an older band-on shifter on for a spirit of the event kind of thing? The kids will probably be quite into riding their bikes ‘like in the olden days’!
Not my daughter...she’d get off and push!🤣🤣🤣

By Next year my “little ones” will be 15 & 18 respectively... where does the time go?
Our Jimmy’s 1961 Coureur fits the “rules” apart from the 6x2 indexed levers but they can be switched to friction. But my daughters 1978 Majestique 1x7 has a trigger shift so less easy to hide.
Maybe if we keep her tucked in between my 4spd 1954 Jubilee & my wife’s 3spd 1955 Ladies Sports they’d let us off?View attachment 548607View attachment 548609View attachment 548610View attachment 548611
Sturmey archer had a trigger shift, so no different, other than 3 speed v 7 speed

I can't help feeling that it's about time that L'Eroica moves with the times and adds another 10 years to the 1987 cut-off: 1997 would still be retro, so maintaining the look and feel of the event, bring in new riders potentially and it would help preserve the next decade of bikes...what do you think?

hating inconsequential things... it’s bad for your health..
The best advice I've ever read on this forum!

I attended the Eroica about 5 years ago – just at the festival site near Bakewell, rather than actually doing the 'race' (I think it was £70 back then to enter, which given I live nearby and therefore didn't need to camp at the site, was more than a bit too steep). I can confirm the organisers certainly didn't seem too bothered about the 'rules'. I saw a number of people using clipless pedals :eek:, for starters. I'd say it's really just about the spirit of the thing, and therefore how bothered you are personally about that. It's not that serious, after all...

I cycled to the festival site and amusingly ended up on the final leg of the actual course by mistake and was subsequently applauded by spectators – luckily I was riding an appropriate bike, but the same can't be said of my friends riding decidedly modern Treks. 😂 I was too embarassed to notice any of the confused faces...still makes me chuckle now to think of it.

I can't help feeling that it's about time that L'Eroica moves with the times and adds another 10 years to the 1987 cut-off: 1997 would still be retro, so maintaining the look and feel of the event, bring in new riders potentially and it would help preserve the next decade of bikes...what do you think?
Since you ask... No!
I think they should go the other way.. make the cut-off 1967, and see if it does anything to the price of secondhand Nuovo Record.. :)

Don't tell anybody, but I think I might've killed Nuovo Record. Thirty seven years ago I bought a pat.84 rear mech. Word got back to Vicenza: "Torqueless has started buying Nuovo Record- make it obsolete- Quick!"

Funnily enough, I've just had a reminder from Google photos of the previous times we did EB.
Bakewell was a great location as the trails were lovely limestoney and varied, plus it was centrally located in the UK (and luckily close-by for family to pop along). Shame it's now going to be at the far end of the country.
It was starting to lose its "friendly" nature I felt so maybe it's gone to the best place!

Back