Ephgrave confirmation

Sprint Finish Andy

Dirt Disciple
Hi RetroBikers,

I'm looking to confirm whether my frame is an Ephgrave, No.1. It's badged as a Maclean but neither the lugs nor the frame number correspond. My research suggests that it's a late Ephgrave. Maybe it was resprayed by Maclean? But, I've received questions about the forkends that make me wonder.

I'm going to renovate it. So, I'm keen to restore it as close as possible to its original identity. Can anyone confirm?

Furthermore, I'm curious about what looks like a partial gear lever braze-on on the right hand side of the down tube. The under top-tube pump pegs appear to have been removed, so maybe some removal has taken place on the lever boss during a past renovation. However, a clamp down tube levers were used instead. So, I'm flummoxed why only half the boss was added/removed. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
A.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    652.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    358.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 16
The 'boss' on the DT does appear to be a sawn-off gear lever boss, possibly a Benelux or Simplex. These were quite specific as to the levers that could be fitted meaning that Campagnolo wouldn't fit. The most common update was to replace a Benelux/Simplex rear mech with a Campag one and people wanted the matching Campag lever so sawing off the projecting part of the lever boss (rather than trying to remove the whole thing and making a mess of the DT in the process) and using a clamp on lever was often done. However, what are the rear ends? They look like Campag ones rather than Benelux/Simplex so I wonder if they might have been replaced during the refurb - if so, why wasn't the gear boss removed/replaced at the same time if the pump pegs were? The 'lollipops' on the seat stay tops are a definite Ephgrave feature but my experience with Ephgraves is virtually non-existant so I'm sure some one else will be along soon to say more!

Looks like Ephgrave to me as they used those lugs a great deal & the lollipop feature is definitely there mark of identification. But looks like it’s been hacked about & resprayed & not very well at that…

Hi RetroBikers,

I'm looking to confirm whether my frame is an Ephgrave, No.1. It's badged as a Maclean but neither the lugs nor the frame number correspond. My research suggests that it's a late Ephgrave. Maybe it was resprayed by Maclean? But, I've received questions about the forkends that make me wonder.

I'm going to renovate it. So, I'm keen to restore it as close as possible to its original identity. Can anyone confirm?

Furthermore, I'm curious about what looks like a partial gear lever braze-on on the right hand side of the down tube. The under top-tube pump pegs appear to have been removed, so maybe some removal has taken place on the lever boss during a past renovation. However, a clamp down tube levers were used instead. So, I'm flummoxed why only half the boss was added/removed. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
A.

Does it have LE under bthe bottom bracket ? Also, can you give serial number to see if fits in with Ephgraves format and likely date ?

Thanks for all the excellent information. I hadn't realised the significance of the dropouts. It does sound probable that they were replaced during a refurb. I've ridden this frame for about twenty years and I'm amazed at how little I knew about it. Many thanks, everyone.

There is indeed an LE under the bottom bracket and on the fork steerer. The serial number is 3844 LE.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for all the excellent information. I hadn't realised the significance of the dropouts. It does sound probable that they were replaced during a refurb. I've ridden this frame for about twenty years and I'm amazed at how little I knew about it. Many thanks, everyone.

There is indeed an LE under the bottom bracket and on the fork steerer. The serial number is 3844 LE.
Have a look at the registry on this link, Looks like yours will be 60s

Back