English Range Rider

Hi Peter, Dan may be busy at the moment but it is worth waiting for him to respond.
Hi Peter, have you heard back from Dan yet?
Yes, with regards to decals, I think it's best to wait to see what Geoff says. Back in the 80's, apart from making bicycles Geoff's other job was as a graphic designer and illustrator. Even if he didn't do all the design work for the decals, he may recognise the type faces are etc.
I spoke to Geoff about the decals but unfortunately he only designed the 'Made By English Telford' decal and doesn't have any other artwork.

He did say that he thought that the 'Elephant' logo was based on a drawing by Jeremy Torr's daughter, but didn't know the reason why Jeremy used an Elephant for the logo.

I can scan the 'Made By English Telford' decal from a sheet of 'Cleland' Decals, but it looks as if the other ones will need to be recreated.

Hi Graham, yes Dan did respond, I’m dropping the bike off to him next week sometime. Thanks for putting us in touch. He thinks best thing is to put a lug in the frame rather than replace the whole chain stay but I guess he can make a decision on that when he sees it… I’ll keep you posted.

Hi Graham, I finally got the bike to Dan yesterday! What a lovely guy! He’s going to get transfers done, sandblast, fix and re spray for me… there’s also a slight crack around the seat but he thinks that just the brazing so he’s going to fix that too. I really appreciate you putting me in touch with him. Great to meet people who really know what they’re talking about!

Hi Peter, what a great bike you have there. 👍.
I just popped onto the forum (as I do once in a blue moon) & saw your posts in my old Range Rider thread.
Looking forward to seeing your bike up & running again, they are a bit thin on the ground as you probably know!
Hello Graham, and everyone else. 😉

🙂

Hi Peter, what a great bike you have there. 👍.
I just popped onto the forum (as I do once in a blue moon) & saw your posts in my old Range Rider thread.
Looking forward to seeing your bike up & running again, they are a bit thin on the ground as you probably know!
Hello Graham, and everyone else. 😉

🙂
Mine currently in the wonderful care of Dan Chambers being brought back to life! Can’t wait! Will post pictures when we’re back up and running!

I can scan the 'Made By English Telford' decal from a sheet of 'Cleland' Decals, but it looks as if the other ones will need to be recreated.
Hi Graham, a scan of the head badge would be really useful.

I have someone who can rebuild them pretty much from scratch.
Font etc shouldn't be a problem, and the elephant is clear and undamaged, but what is the little graphic on the side? My brain is not parsing it as anything.

IMG_20240320_094640.jpg

All the best,

Hi Graham, a scan of the head badge would be really useful.
Hi Dan, Will do!
I have someone who can rebuild them pretty much from scratch.
Font etc shouldn't be a problem, and the elephant is clear and undamaged, but what is the little graphic on the side? My brain is not parsing it as anything.
I will ask Geoff and see if he remembers what the graphic to either side of 'BY' was based on?

Would it also be possible if you to also run off a set of decals for my Metro-Trekker version of this bike? I can supply photos and dimensions for the 'Metro-Trekker' lettering.

The bash-plate and chain-guard on the Range-Rider is a different shape to those fitted to the Cleland Aventura. It would be useful if I had some templates of the Range-Rider ones in case someone contacts me wanting to recreate them. Could someone help me with this as it will be far easier to trace around them whilst they are off the bike?

Hi REtrouble, In case you are interested in having a pair of the wheels that would have originally been fitted to your Range-Rider? I have some. These are NOS original Aventura/Range-Rider rear wheels, NOS front and rear Leleu hubs and Super Champion 560b rims. I bought from the son of the late owner of the London Tandem-Centre (The original suppliers to Cleland & English Cycles.)

Modern Bruce Gordon Rock'n'Road 650x42B tyres (Nokia Hakkapeliitta copies), could also be used to complete the original look your early Range-Rider. Unfortunately the wider Nokian 650x54B tyres used on later Range-Riders are no longer available.

Back