electric van and when to make the change?

Re:

Interesting to read a review of the BMW iX3 today as it is a great big thing, has a decent range of 250 miles + and although still expensive it undercuts the rivals by a significant amount and isn’t a million miles away from the derv/petrol version in price.

The market is developing at pace so the prospect of a useable van shouldn’t be too far away.

Re: Re:

torqueless":1uigi090 said:
I'm just saying that the 'demand' is conditioned entirely by the socio-economic milieu. There is a demand for mortice locks, alarms, police and prisons because we are led to believe we live amongst thieves and murderers. Or to put it another way, you have to provide fertile ground for the proliferation of thieves and murderers before you can profit from selling mortice locks and alarms and such to people who, under a saner system, would have no concept of the utility of a mortice lock, the 'demand' for which would be a sign of eccentricity, idiocy, or insanity.

I would probably take issue with the word "entirely". Surely, as per the other poster's cat, there's a certain intrinsic level of demand for food, water, shelter etc?

It seems to me that there is a certain level of stealing from others built into most animal species and therefore an inherent demand for security. Even a squirrel will adopt diversionary tactics to prevent others from stealing its nuts. If you could meaningfully show it the value of a secure storage facility and how to operate it, it would probably adopt it and maybe even trade some nuts for it.

Obviously, an awful lot of demand is engineered. No one needs tan wall tyre for their bike, etc but they sure want one. I once lived in a street where every house except ours had additional security gates fitted over the doors. No houses were robbed in five years we lived there. Presumably something had happened to make our neighbours fit additional security - but it might well have been the result of local media hyping a crime wave/persuasive door to door salesman.

brocklanders023":1hehe0zj said:
Interesting to read a review of the BMW iX3 today as it is a great big thing, has a decent range of 250 miles + and although still expensive it undercuts the rivals by a significant amount and isn’t a million miles away from the derv/petrol version in price.

The market is developing at pace so the prospect of a useable van shouldn’t be too far away.

'New 2021 BMW iX3 electric car on sale in the UK from £61,900'? Yeah, dream on

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x3/10 ... uk-ps61900

Re:

@greencat/CassidyAce:

with regard to cats and squirrels I guess the fundamental question is: "Is there a qualitative difference between what they do to fulfil their day's nutritional requirements and what we do?"

In the context of this thread, I just think that the demand, or need for unlimited mileage in a personal vehicle at ever increasing speeds has not been examined, maybe precisely because it comes at an 'environmental' cost, and, to abandon it, a societal re-organisation cost, that almost nobody is prepared to consciously and publicly acknowledge.

These days you're in a permanent state of cognitive dissonance, asking yourself questions like: "What is the ecological footprint of a David Attenborough documentary series?" Anyone who does metaphors and similes can fathom from that question pretty much how I feel about electric cars.

torqueless":2mvtvbp4 said:
@greencat/CassidyAce:

with regard to cats and squirrels I guess the fundamental question is: "Is there a qualitative difference between what they do to fulfil their day's nutritional requirements and what we do?"

In the context of this thread, I just think that the demand, or need for unlimited mileage in a personal vehicle at ever increasing speeds has not been examined, maybe precisely because it comes at an 'environmental' cost, and, to abandon it, a societal re-organisation cost, that almost nobody is prepared to consciously and publicly acknowledge.

These days you're in a permanent state of cognitive dissonance, asking yourself questions like: "What is the ecological footprint of a David Attenborough documentary series?" Anyone who does metaphors and similes can fathom from that question pretty much how I feel about electric cars.

Ah OK, perhaps we are in more alignment than I thought. It seems to me that society can make massive shifts like this (eg the adoption of smartphones and more recently, response to pandemic). But you are right there are powerful forces that resist change - particularly if it'll effect their bottom line regardless of impact on planet. And these forces often have the ear of government and media as well as large influencing budgets via advertising etc.

Don't own a car myself as for me the trade off of expense, environmental impact etc against personal benefits is not there. But also in a somewhat privileged position of being able to work from home, not having nippers wanting ferrying around, having a nice cycle path to the nearest town etc. If I want to go further than I can cycle, I use public transport.

I think I said something similar about 5 pages ago but with less syllables

Anyway, a BIG FAT IRONY alert: prices of 2nd hand vans has gone ultra daft with the current ongoing situation, there is about a 30-40% premium on old vans now. Theres so many start-ups and couriers that demand has out stripped supply.

It reminds me of the PCP/ vehicle lease/ hire-purchase frenzy in 2013, old cars being dragged out of fields and being sold at 110% of Glass' Guide prices by lenders in the sub prime markets.

Thankfully that was killed off by rule changes from the then new FCA, the Bank of England was worried by the spiraling debt and 49% APR on knackered old vehicles.

I see the same happening now, short lived leasing companies dragging bits of old vans from scrappers and fields and off they go, pressed back into service delivering the latest from Amazon

legrandefromage":1x87ykql said:
looking into the carbon footprint side of things:

this site is fairly rational and explains it well without yogurt knitting

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/envi ... tric-cars/

Then theres the battery ingredients

https://www.mining.com/carmakers-have-b ... el-prices/

https://www.raconteur.net/corporate-soc ... an-rights/

you don't see Neodymium ever mentioned but for the best efficency it's needed for the magnets in the motors.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/destinat ... 744ca12bc5

I guess it isn't needed but going back to iron ferrite would be like going back to lead-acid from Lithium-ion.

Re:

It seems to me that society can make massive shifts like this (eg the adoption of smartphones and more recently, response to pandemic).
Yes, except that the only shifts that are allowed to occur are in the direction of more technology, more surveillance, more speed, more data, more pollution, more resource extraction, more inequality.

I wouldn't be surprised if a milk float from fifty years ago out-performs these latest gizmo-fetish hulks by a long chalk on any measure of ecological sustainability, not to mention loadability. The fact that it has a top speed of twenty rather than a hundred and twenty, and a limited range, is a plus rather than a minus in my book.

Back