Elastomer question for Manitou 4 experts

I‘m rebuilding a Manitou 4 using Suspension Fork Parts firm elastomers. Manitou calls this fork a 3-stage system; the 6 elastomers on the skewer are stage 1, the two elastomers below the stanchion are stage 2 and 3.

The Manitou 3, EFC and Magnum use a single elastomer below the stanchion and call it a “bump stop” rather than a “stage”.

My question is can I use just one elastomer below the stanchion to soften the ride, or will this risk bottoming out the fork and damaging the crown & sliders?

picture below of assy per the manual (left) vs Manitou 3 format (right) 7FC6EA04-3521-4F67-800E-FC742770345B.jpeg

Last edited:
Try. If it bottoms too often with your weight and riding conditions, then not. If feels good then OK. Should do no harm that way.

IIRC there are two elastomers with a "big bore". Mists of my brain says one orange, one black.
IIRC orange goes in the position where you have it in your picture. This is a bottom out elastomer, for when you take a really big hit and blow through all the travel.
The other one, the black one, goes on the black shaft, but is inside the stanchion, under the platform that pushes up onto the kebab skewer. This is a "top-out" elastomer, so when your fork rebounds strongly, it stops it clunking on top-out.

With the red stack you plan on using, from full-compression, top-out can be pretty strong.

I think I'm recalling all this correctly.

I just finished rebuilding a Manitou4 that had been sitting outside for years. Replaced the elastomers with springs, still need to test ride and possibly make adjustments with small elastomers.

Attachments

• cave5.jpg
    cave5.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 17
IIRC there are two elastomers with a "big bore". Mists of my brain says one orange, one black.
IIRC orange goes in the position where you have it in your picture. This is a bottom out elastomer, for when you take a really big hit and blow through all the travel.
The other one, the black one, goes on the black shaft, but is inside the stanchion, under the platform that pushes up onto the kebab skewer. This is a "top-out" elastomer, so when your fork rebounds strongly, it stops it clunking on top-out.

With the red stack you plan on using, from full-compression, top-out can be pretty strong.

I think I'm recalling all this correctly.
Orange is the top out.
I know as I've just taken a melted reshaped one out of a set of forks
and
(similar in another set a bit before, but they dried up and didn't get left stuck to the stanchions)

Attachments

• IMG-20221204-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20221204-WA0002.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221128_154108.jpg
    IMG_20221128_154108.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221128_155001.jpg
    IMG_20221128_155001.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 2
I believe the difference between the 3 and 4 lies in the circle below. The 3 uses one elastomer below the stanchion as a bump stop. The 4 uses two elastomers regarded as stage two and stage three to achieve progressively stiffer suspension.

I found that using a combination of medium and firm elastomers on the skewer and two medium elastomers below the stanchion yields a good result for my 225 pound payload. It’s slightly on the firm side, but the bike doesn’t pogo.

In response to comments above, yes, one large bore elastomer goes on the black plastic rod inside the stanchion to prevent the ka-chunk at full rebound.

The “long travel kit” means the large bore elastomer inside the stanchion is 1/2 inch shorter to achieve an addition 1/2 inch of travel. Conversely one of the elastomers below the stanchion is 1/2 inch longer to maintain the second stage of travel.

Attachments

• 7AA630A8-F532-4F9B-9D7E-B4717C40C6D2.jpeg
    7AA630A8-F532-4F9B-9D7E-B4717C40C6D2.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
Manitou 3 had 4 rebound (or "stage") elastomers in total. Manitou 4 had 6 of them.

Since both of the forks are basically absolutely the same (98%). You can chose either way. It simply wont matter much!

Manitou 3 had 4 rebound (or "stage") elastomers in total. Manitou 4 had 6 of them.

Since both of the forks are basically absolutely the same (98%). You can chose either way. It simply wont matter much!
Hi I'm new here. Couple of questions.
As you seem to be the GURU on the Retro Bike web site and I can't afford to waste money or risk getting the wrong service kit for the front forks.
My Marin has Manitou 4 forks. I can not see me having an issue replacing the Elastomers, it more of a case of getting the right parts.
The UK Bike market is pants, seems to be a minefield on eBay, Can you help.

Sober 28 days

Hi No problem ... you can PM me or write here what you are looking for

The correct elastomer-Set is the smallest problem :) I have them in stock.

Back