Educating Peachy-90’s Campagnolo Brifters set-up help needed

But you do accept that even with a perfectly working set of shifters, this combo would not work very well if at all?

Think of it like one of your scale models. You would have to have miniature ropes and pulleys working at scale speed, too much and the illusion is lost, too slow and its the same.

Its the same when trying mix and match older kit, some parts may work well but most will not. Campagnolo ergo have a lovely left hand shift which means just about any front mech can work. Shimano have to be paired so very carefully.

Unlike shimano rear shifting, campagnolo has to be paired really well to work in a usable way. Shimano got it easy with their floating top jockey. That made inaccuracies in the shifting easier to ignore and adjustment was almost fit and forget with pre stretched cables.

Unfortunately, building and servicing bikes for customers made sure that everything had to be done with precision. There was nothing worse than sending a bike out that shifted PERFECTLY in the stand only for a red faced angry customer to come back a few minutes later complaining that the shifting was terrible.

*of course, like any good mechanic, what we did with our own bicycles....

As much as I loved Campagnolo, I hated having to work with it. Customers moving over from the Big S because 'Bike X' was in a magazine would complain like mad.

It was amazing to see how quickly staff would simply evaporate when a Campagnolo customer came in (Muggins here was too slow on the uptake),

I concentrated on Shimano for my own use as I found I could make very old (and much nicer looking) components shift well enough for everyday use.

I try to write for an audience too, hoping to give as much out as possible but the biggest frustration is what takes about 3 minutes to demonstrate with an Allen key takes about 8 hours of typing and spoll chacking.

I do have some Syncro downtube shifter parts here that can go into your box of parts (which will require a 7.5 ton deliver vehicle at this rate), these will shift the Triomphe mech at least.

Cheers.

I promise I did try to steer Jimmy towards the 105 kit...but I failed.

Peachy!":2hyilc4w said:
Cheers.

I promise I did try to steer Jimmy towards the 105 kit...but I failed.
Yep much as I love all things Campagnolo even I'd have to admit 105 would have been a hell of a lot simpler and vastly more reliable, the era of 105 with the blue and yellow logo's also looks quite pretty as well.

A suitable rear mech to go with the Campag brifters once you've repaired them won't be to hard to get hold of though, I remember Mirage of that era still sold pretty well so there should be plenty of them about.

Peachy!":1vvs3vol said:
legrandefromage":1vvs3vol said:
But you do accept that even with a perfectly working set of shifters, this combo would not work very well if at all?
Yes, absolutely. :D

Just having a read through this...http://www.standardbikerepair.com/campa ... arts-list/

I think it might be Part #5. Finger Shift Lever Return spring
That's the later version although the parts that fail are pretty much the same and the parts that fail are usually #4 (springs) and sometimes #9 (carrier)

allenh":31aw6fxw said:
Peachy!":31aw6fxw said:
legrandefromage":31aw6fxw said:
Yes, absolutely. :D

Just having a read through this...http://www.standardbikerepair.com/campa ... arts-list/

I think it might be Part #5. Finger Shift Lever Return spring
That's the later version although the parts that fail are pretty much the same and the parts that fail are usually #4 (springs) and sometimes #9 (carrier)

Well, you were both right as it happens……
As soon as I fitted the 8 speed Veloce rear mech this afternoon things made a lot more sense although the return was still jumpy… culprit in the mech was indeed a knackered “G” spring (No4)

Thanks Gents….

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
  • Ergo.JPG
    Ergo.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 179
  • G-spring.JPG
    G-spring.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 179
Back