Dave Hinde/Brian Rourke - 90's Campagnolo

Another little thing, the approx '97 Athena headset I had suffered from pretty bad indexing. Both the crown race and cups were badly indented so needed replacing. I managed to get a replacement crown race NOS, but wasn't able to get the correct lower cup as these were also badly indexed too. So funnily enough I discovered when pressing the headset in that the diameter of the drift had an interference fit into the steel race insert inside the cup, normally I don't think you would replace this. However I managed to get a NOS cup of the earlier '94ish Athena and swapped these around so at least it would stay matching. Luckily the steel race is exactly the same between the two.

Two cups with the steel races removed
eZRl0iX.jpeg

Cup with race insert and plastic pad (not sure what these are for but they sit underneath the race) ready to go in...
ESFChhm.jpeg

Luckily I had a bearing press which more or less fit correctly and had no chance of damaging the race as it was aluminium. Incidentally the same press I used to press in the rear hub cups earlier
3g1rU7V.jpeg

Old cup, but like new inside!
BEMjBCK.jpeg

SIQDavR.jpeg

Definitely looks like a Rourke frame. They provided me with some useful info on the numbering system, if you have the frame number I could take a look. Mine is a 1980 ordered (81 delivered) frameset with frame number 909.

Definitely looks like a Rourke frame. They provided me with some useful info on the numbering system, if you have the frame number I could take a look. Mine is a 1980 ordered (81 delivered) frameset with frame number 909.
Thanks yeah it’s 238 matching forks and BB serials

Based on what they told me that would likely be a 1977 frame built by Paul Washington.
Ah thanks. Actually they also replied to me similarly. I was thinking it might be an 80’s-90’s frame due to vertical dropouts and recessed brake but. But the cable stops are more like a 70’s bike so that makes sense. Possible has vertical dropouts otherwise it’d be impossible to get the rear wheel in. They are ~400mm long and it’s very tight getting the rear wheel in as it is!

Back