rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Hello chaps,
I’m struggling a little with setting up some Campagnolo Shifter/Levers – Brifters early 90’s Ergo power 8 speed. :|

When I select the lowest cog the Triomphe S3 has no problem getting the chain up there, but then the mech pulls itself back/up a couple of cogs.
Everything seems operational and the derailleur certainly has the range as I’ve used it with friction shifters in the past.
It’s like the brifter lets go or relaxes the cable rather than holding it in place. :(
I’m assuming I need to strip, & clean the shifter, just thought I’d check with you guys first.

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_5348.jpg
    IMG_5348.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 462
  • IMG_5347.jpg
    IMG_5347.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 462
Re:

I’d try clamping off the cable once on big ring to see if mech hold position removing shifter from equation. Then you’ll know which end the slip is.

Re:

Genuine question .... Is a triomphe mech supposed to work with 8 speed indexing. It's a long time ago, but I seem to recall victory/triomphe was all friction shifting
Happy to be corrected

Dont know the internals of road shifters but sounds like the catch is either broken/worn or not catching eg gunked up. Are they not easy to just open up and see if its all moving freely?

The History Man":3nwylrx4 said:
I’d try clamping off the cable once on big ring to see if mech hold position removing shifter from equation. Then you’ll know which end the slip is.
Gave that a go.. definitely the lever (I think)

pigman":3nwylrx4 said:
Genuine question .... Is a triomphe mech supposed to work with 8 speed indexing. It's a long time ago, but I seem to recall victory/triomphe was all friction shifting
Happy to be corrected
Yes it does come from the friction days, but (& I might be wrong here) although there may be slight nuanced differences, a spring loaded pantograph pulled by a cable is a spring loaded pantograph pulled by a cable..
I always thought the main issue/concern was making sure the cassette and levers were compatible?

mk one":3nwylrx4 said:
Dont know the internals of road shifters but sounds like the catch is either broken/worn or not catching eg gunked up. Are they not easy to just open up and see if its all moving freely?
Yeah this looks like my next step, I was just checking I hadn’t missed something obviously wrong..

As Pigman says, its not a mech for indexing.

Sorry!

It will have the wrong reach. As the cable is pulled by the shifter, the mech moves too far or too little per click.

Its the same reason why you cant use Shimano with Campagnolo, the cable pull is all wrong but you can use 8spd Shimano on an 8spd Campagnolo cassette

You can have Shimergo but thats a whole new level of faffnessness.

Campagnolo's first attempt at indexed shifting, "Synchro" was designed to work with older Campagnolo derailers, but the cable travel was too short and cable tension too high for reliable indexing. In the early 1990s, Campagnolo abandoned the Synchro system and redesigned everything around a longer cable travel. I don't know the exact year of this change, but I believe it happened at the same time as the move from 7-speed to 8-speed.

When shifting are the lever clicks nice and clicky or are they a bit indistinct?

There's a couple of springs in a lot of Campag brifters that hold the ratchet and they break,if that's the case they're not that bad to replace and should still be available.

allenh":2a8n8fx7 said:
When shifting are the lever clicks nice and clicky or are they a bit indistinct?

There's a couple of springs in a lot of Campag brifters that hold the ratchet and they break,if that's the case they're not that bad to replace and should still be available.

Its the wrong mech!

Back