Educate me about bolts please

There are various grades of stainless. The main grades for fasteners are A2 and A4 (SAE 304 grade and SAE 316 grade respectively). The A4 grade is often known as Marine Grade, and is slightly more resistant to corrosion than A2 grade.

I always use A4 grade, because I don't need many, so the cost difference is very small. Ebay is a good source for small quantities.

In terms of head style, I prefer Button Head for bottle cage bolts, as I think it looks nicer. And in my opinion Button Head doesn't really need a washer, as the head is a slightly larger diameter than a standard socket head bolt. However, be aware that the hex socket will be slightly smaller on a Button Head, so you won't be able to achieve the same torque. For example, an M5 bolt (bottle boss size) usually takes a 4mm allen key in a standard hex socket head style, but will only take a 3mm allen key in standard button head style. If you can find bolts with a Torx socket head then these are superior to bolts with hex socket heads, as the Torx socket is purposefully designed not to round out or slip. Note that these are general rules based on standard bolts, so you may find exceptions, such as an M5 bolt that takes a 5mm allen key. For example, Shimano seem to use M5 bolts that take a 5mm allen key for the cable clamp bolts on their dérailleurs.

As an aside, I think it's best to fit a well-greased bolt in all bosses and eyelets, whether you are using them for a rack, mudguards, bottle cage, or nothing at all. Having a well-greased bolt in place helps to stop the thread corroding when you ride in the wet, and keeps mud and grit out.

For example, an M5 bolt (bottle boss size) usually takes a 4mm allen key in a standard hex socket head style, but will only take a 3mm allen key in standard button head style.
Depth of key engagement may be lower too. For M5 it's a minimum of 2.5mm for a standard hex socket head, and a minimum of 1.5mm for a standard button head. If you go for button head style, choose those with Torx sockets if you can.

Just gonna add the excellent https://www.pro-bolt.com/ to this thread.

As per Danson's excellent recommendations in this thread I started, asking for good places to find these types of things!
Just checked pro-bolt out.Probably great for oddities and unusual stuff but I'm seeing £3-5 for a single stainless M6 x 16 Allen bolt.That would buy you a couple of ti bolts,or am I missing something?I understand it's polished.
Something like this would do for me;
Not sure why the long address😱

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back