EBay problem

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Hoping for the usually helpful advice I get on here!

So, I bought a part for the car. Seller sent promptly, got text with link to tracking saying it was delivered while I was at work.

Got home, no parcel. We have a nice big porch stuff usually gets left in. I check the tracking, on the POD it says signed for by my surname and a photo of the parcel in front of a wall next to a wheelie bin. The wall looks like a new stone built house, nothing like mine but a bit like the new estate further up the road with a similar name to my road. I check up there, no wheelie bins, no parcel. Even knocked on the equivalent house numbers door, no parcel there. Contact seller, they say oh, send a photo of your house and we’ll contact courier. After this they tell me courier will go back and pick the parcel up (kind of admitting it wasn’t delivered to my house) and will drop it off later. Doesn’t happen. No more contact with seller despite several unanswered messages.

Start dispute with eBay after the prescribed time limit. They email back within an hour to say case closed, seller provided tracking, no refund no parcel. Here’s the number for the courier sort it out yourself basically.

Even tried to dispute the transaction with my bank but doesn’t meet their criteria.

It’s over £50 less than £100 so enough to be bothered about.

What to do?

Outside of 30 days ebay will not bother. If you payed with paypal I think you can kick up a fuss for about 90 days. A signature is not proof of delivery, it has your name on the parcel so anyone can scribble your surname onto a pad. Really you need to have escalated this immediately and not left it so long.
Even chasing the courier may not be fruitful as their reponsibility and contract is with the sender not the recipient.

Outside of 30 days ebay will not bother. If you payed with paypal I think you can kick up a fuss for about 90 days. A signature is not proof of delivery, it has your name on the parcel so anyone can scribble your surname onto a pad. Really you need to have escalated this immediately and not left it so long.
Even chasing the courier may not be fruitful as their reponsibility and contract is with the sender not the recipient.
This is over the last week and a bit their claim/the tracking states it was delivered 1st Feb! The prescribed time limit to get eBay to step in was today.

In that case I'd get straight back on to ebay, give them a picture of your house & brickwork detail. You have already raised this within the time limit. It is ebay and the carrier that has fobbed you off. Just have to keep arguing that it is not your house or signature and therefore there is no proof of 'correct' delivery. There is no GPS info to prove where it was actually left. Google street view might actually show your brickwork? If they say it's outside of the time limit then remind them you have raised it within the correct time frame and not had an acceptable response due to the recipient information being obviously wrong. I've argued succesfully before that a GPS pin is the only real proof of where something was left.

Always a tricky one this. First thing you need to do is contact ebay customer support, either online chat or ring them, the dispute procedure is automated so their is nothing that can be done about that and as far as anyone is concerned it is now closed as you say. CS know this and will help you sort through it, hopefully you still have all messages between yourself and the seller, they will check all these.

I’ll have a try contacting eBay cs directly as the “step in” procedure is a complete brick wall.

Thanks for the comments folks!

Trying to contact CS can be a nightmare, they like to automate everything and you will most likely end up going around in loops following online answers from them. A way around that and to get through to them is to pick something more serious, if you say you are having trouble with you account (cant remember all the options now) or similar serious problem, they will give you a phone number straight away, once through explain your problem and they will tell you that you are at the wrong department and put you through. Dont bother using online phone number for ebay as they change them regularly to stop people ringing them all the time.

Well I eventually got this resolved.

EBay pushed it back to me to contact DPD who basically said yes we can see the GPS was 3 minutes away from your location but you weren’t the sender so we won’t provide any written proof of this.

After getting in touch with an actual person on eBay via phone (surprisingly quick), escalating through their first line, making it clear I was stubborn enough to leave eBay over this issue they issued a goodwill gesture of a full refund. This was after suggesting I start a “Resolver” case with DPD. I pointed out that the seller in our trail of messages had confirmed that DPD had delivered it to the wrong address and we got to the goodwill part quite quickly after that.

Really surprised it took this much to get it sorted out. I’ve never encountered these issues with them before. As a seller, yes, but always tried to be reasonable even if I lost out.

Is there a link? ;)

Well I eventually got this resolved.

EBay pushed it back to me to contact DPD who basically said yes we can see the GPS was 3 minutes away from your location but you weren’t the sender so we won’t provide any written proof of this.

After getting in touch with an actual person on eBay via phone (surprisingly quick), escalating through their first line, making it clear I was stubborn enough to leave eBay over this issue they issued a goodwill gesture of a full refund. This was after suggesting I start a “Resolver” case with DPD. I pointed out that the seller in our trail of messages had confirmed that DPD had delivered it to the wrong address and we got to the goodwill part quite quickly after that.

Really surprised it took this much to get it sorted out. I’ve never encountered these issues with them before. As a seller, yes, but always tried to be reasonable even if I lost out.

Glad you sorted it.

Yes, even talking to them on the phone can be long winded, but as long as you keep on at them and they can see evidence of what you claim then it usually always gets sorted.

Back